Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

How to modify the albedo data in usr_nl_cam?

jialiu

NJNU
I want to modify the albedo of certain regions in the coupled model. Is it feasible to specify the values of albedo using grid points in user_nl_cam?

slevis

From the land model perspective, please see this thread:

katec

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Hi there, does this answer your question, or are you looking for different albedos?

jialiu

NJNU
Hi there, does this answer your question, or are you looking for different albedos?
Hi, I have looked into the method slevis mentioned, but it seems that it may not work if I want to modify the surface albedo of a specific area to a specific value. Do you have any other methods?

jialiu

NJNU
Hi, I have looked into the method slevis mentioned, but it seems that it may not work if I want to modify the surface albedo of a specific area to a specific value. Do you have any other methods?
By the way, I want to modify the surface albedo within a coupled model.

katec

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Since this is about the land surface albedo, I'm going to move the thread to the CTSM forum. Perhaps you can get other opinions there, but I think the answer here is probably the best answer.

slevis

@katec is right: the link provided above is the best answer that we have to offer. You are welcome to come up with a different solution for your specific application.

jialiu

NJNU
@katec is right: the link provided above is the best answer that we have to offer. You are welcome to come up with a different solution for your specific application.
Thank you for your answer, slevis. I found that in the surfdata, it is distinguished by soil classes. If I only know the total surface albedo, how can I find the corresponding soil color type.

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
You would have to experiment with different soil color classes since the soil albedo is a function of radiation band (vis and nir) and soil moisture. Maybe pick a soil color class where your total albedo is midway between the vis and nir albedos and dry and saturated albedos. But, as we've mentioned before, the soil albedo is just one component of the total surface albedo. Vegetation properties are an important determinant of this.
As we've also mentioned before, one way forward might be to look at the code of "SLIM", the Simple Land Interface Model. One can replace the calculated surface albedo in CLM with a prescribed albedo using SLIM. I don't know the details but you can find information on SLIM here:

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
See also this for more information:

jialiu

NJNU
See also this for more information:

Hi Oleson, thanks for your speedy reply and help! I will try it.