Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

how to run 0.5deg simulation using I2000

xiaoxiaokuishu

Ru Xu
Hi, all,
I usually run I2000 with f09_g17 globally, it works well. But now when i change the res from 1deg to f05_g17, the errors appears:

alling /users/rxu/CESM/cime/src/components/data_comps_mct/datm/cime_config/buildnml
File not found: domainfile = "/scratch/snx3000/rxu/CCLM2_inputdata/cesm_inputdata/share/domains/domain.lnd.fv0.47x0.63_gx1v7.180521.nc", will attempt to download in check_input_data phase
2024-02-01 17:10:44 lnd
Calling /users/rxu/CESM/components/clm//cime_config/buildnml
ERROR: Command /users/rxu/CESM/components/clm/bld/build-namelist failed rc=255
out=
err=ERROR : CLM build-namelist::CLMBuildNamelist::add_default() : No default value found for fsurdat.
Are defaults provided for this resolution and land mask?

I have checked the supported grid within CESM, there is a alias is f05_g17.
Do you know how to revise it?
Besides, i know some publicly acessed 0.5deg surfdata, it is not existed in my inputdata file. But it seems the error is not about the inputdata existed or not.....

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
The error is saying that there aren't any default surface datasets provided for this resolution. So you would have to create one. For release-cesm2.1.5, the supported 0.5deg resolution in the mksurfdata_map tool is 360x720cru.

xiaoxiaokuishu

Ru Xu
The error is saying that there aren't any default surface datasets provided for this resolution. So you would have to create one. For release-cesm2.1.5, the supported 0.5deg resolution in the mksurfdata_map tool is 360x720cru.
Thank you for your reply, I have successfully run the I case with res hcru_hcru, but when I change the compset from I2000 to F2000, the error appears:
ERROR: grid alias hcru_hcru not valid for compset 2000_CAM60_CLM50%SP_CICE%PRES_DOCN%DOM_MOSART_CISM2%NOEVOLVE_SWAV_SIAC_SESP

So for all the CESM version, there is no support for running 0.5deg simulation for a F compset, right?

slevis

The closest to a 0.5-degree gridthat may work in coupled simulations is 0.47x0.63, I think.

slevis

If you have access to derecho or casper, I see some files of that resolution here:
/glade/campaign/cesm/cesmdata/cseg/inputdata/lnd/clm2/surfdata_map
Otherwise, as @oleson said, you will need to generate the fsurdat file yourself.