Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

How to run CESM2.0.1 faster with FATES on?

Mingjun

Mingjun
Hi, there!

I am confused of the running speed of CESM2.0.1. The configuration I used is B1850 and the resolution is f19_g17. I also turn the FATES on and make the ice evloved. I am not familiar with the pe setting. My current setting is attached. The speed is 2.4 year/day. I need a nearly 5000-year simulation. The speed is too slow for me...

p.s. I also do not understand the relationship between the NTASKS of atm and ocn. If I set them in the same number, there would be errors (like POP aborting... Stopping in ecosys_driver:ecosys_driver_init). When NTASKS of atm is 2 times as ocn, the experiment would run successfully.

Any suggestions would be helpful for me. Thanks for your time!!

Attachments

• env_mach_pes.txt
    7.1 KB · Views: 11

jedwards

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
First - why are you using cesm 2.0.1? The cmip6 release is 2.1.5, I recommend you update to that.
Second in your pelayout you have ocn and ice components on the same tasks. You might do better if you change
the values to
ROOTPE_ICE= 28,ROOTPE_OCN=112,NTASKS_ICE=84

I try to obey the following rules when setting pelayouts for B (allactive) cases.

NTASKS_ATM=NTASKS_CPL
NTASKS_ICE+NTASKS_LND=NTASKS_ATM
NTASKS_ROF=NTASKS_LND
ROOTPE_ICE=NTASKS_LND
ROOTPE_OCN=NTASKS_ATM