Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

How to use my own transient land-use data to make the surface data and landuse_timeseries data?

wangqr

Dear all,
I have some questions about creating my own surface data and landuse_timeseries data in CLM.

(1) I want to analyze the impacts of land use and land-cover changes on terrestrial carbon sink. I have my own land-use data (one category per grid instead of percent type such as LUH2 data) . So, how should I convert my own land-use data to the format which required by the CLM model, and make the surface data and landuse.timeseries data?

(2) I have found that the existing landuse_timeseries data used in the CLM model contain the change of PFT and CFT area by including the variables PCT_NAT_PFT and
PCT_CFT. However, I can't find variables corresponding to the other land-use types, such as urban and lake area. How should I consider these changes in CLM?

Thanks!

Qingrui Wang

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
1) You will need to use the mksurfdata_map tool (for release-cesm2.1.3 the tool is located in components/clm/tools/mksurfdata_map/) to generate surface and landuse timeseries datasets. Your input files will need to conform to the format of the existing input data, what we call the "raw" input data. An example of input data associated with release-cesm2.1.3 can be found in components/clm/tools/mksurfdata_map/landuse_timeseries_hist_78pfts_simyr1850-2015.txt. An alternative would be to use the CLM land data tool. Please contact Peter Lawrence regarding this (lawrence @ ucar.edu).

2) Urban and lake transient capability is not available in the supported versions of the model. However, this capability is being developed and may be available in a few months.

wangqr

1) You will need to use the mksurfdata_map tool (for release-cesm2.1.3 the tool is located in components/clm/tools/mksurfdata_map/) to generate surface and landuse timeseries datasets. Your input files will need to conform to the format of the existing input data, what we call the "raw" input data. An example of input data associated with release-cesm2.1.3 can be found in components/clm/tools/mksurfdata_map/landuse_timeseries_hist_78pfts_simyr1850-2015.txt. An alternative would be to use the CLM land data tool. Please contact Peter Lawrence regarding this (lawrence @ ucar.edu).

2) Urban and lake transient capability is not available in the supported versions of the model. However, this capability is being developed and may be available in a few months.
Hi, Keith,

Thank you very much for your help.

I have understood what I should do to generate the surface and landuse timeseries datasets.

I have another question. Where can I get the original data which were used to generate the "raw" input landuse data (e.g. "mksrf_landuse_histclm50_LUH2_2000.c170412.nc")? Because I want to get the information about the specific landuse type in a specific grid cell instead of the "percentage" information, so I can compare my own landuse data to the landuse data used by CLM. Are these data available? And How can I achieve the data?

Looking forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Qingrui

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Those data were generated by the CLM land data tool which ingested the original LUH2 data. So your best option is to contact Peter Lawrence.

zpc

zpc

Is Urban and lake transient capability available in the latest version of CLM? Thank you for your answer.

slevis

Transient lake and urban are expected with ctsm5.2 and ctsm5.3 by the end of this summer. I don't think there will be public releases of these versions. Just tags in the github repository.