Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

iCESM 1.2 on Cheyenne - error at cesm_setup step

AndreaMoore

Andrea Moore
Hello,

I am trying to run an iCESM experiment on Cheyenne using the following parameters:
create_newcase -case ~/cases/test_case -res f19_g16 -compset B1850 -mach cheyenne

I have followed the instructions listed here and in this thread, but am getting the following errors at the cesm_setup step:

Code:
andreamo@cheyenne1:~/cases/test_case> ./cesm_setup
Creating Macros file for cheyenne
/glade/u/home/andreamo/iCESM1.2/scripts/ccsm_utils/Machines/config_compilers.xml intel cheyenne
Creating batch script test_case.run
PHASE is set_batch
mppsize is 64 2
PHASE is set_exe
Locking file env_mach_pes.xml
Creating user_nl_xxx files for components and cpl
Running preview_namelist script
 infile is /glade/u/home/andreamo/cases/test_case/Buildconf/cplconf/cesm_namelist
CAM build-namelist - ERROR: Specifying solar_const with RRTMG or WACCM is not allowed.
ERROR: cam.buildnml.csh failed
ERROR: /glade/u/home/andreamo/cases/test_case/preview_namelists failed: 25344

Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

AndreaMoore

Andrea Moore
I seem to have solved my own issue. It looks like the compset I chose for my initial test run (B1850) uses CAM4, and I specified CAM5 in my env_build.xml file, which may have caused a conflict. I've switched to B1850C5CN, and everything seems to be running smoothly.

AndreaMoore

Andrea Moore
I have a new problem with a new test case I've started using one of @jiangzhu 's iCESM Holocene time slice restart files (b.e12.B1850C5.f19_g16.i09ka.01):

Code:
create_newcase --case /glade/u/home/andreamo/cases/test1 --res f19_g16 --compset B1850C5CN --mach cheyenne
RUN_TYPE = “branch”
RUN_REFCASE = “b.e12.B1850C5.f19_g16.i09ka.01”
RUN_REFDATE = “0901-01-01”
GET_REFCASE = “FALSE”
./cesm_setup
Macros script already created ...skipping
 Machine/Decomp/Pes configuration has already been done ...skipping
 Running preview_namelist script
 infile is /glade/u/home/andreamo/cases/test1/Buildconf/cplconf/cesm_namelist
CAM writing dry deposition namelist to drv_flds_in
CAM writing namelist to atm_in
CLM configure done.
CLM adding use_case 1850_control defaults for var sim_year with val 1850
CLM adding use_case 1850_control defaults for var sim_year_range with val constant
CLM adding use_case 1850_control defaults for var stream_year_first_ndep with val 185
CLM adding use_case 1850_control defaults for var stream_year_last_ndep with val 1850
CLM adding use_case 1850_control defaults for var use_case_desc with val Conditions to simulate 1850 land-use
CICE configure done.
POP2 build-namelist: ocn_grid is gx1v6
POP2 build-namelist: ocn_tracer_modules are  iage wiso
::ERROR(Build::Namelist::_parse_next): expect a equal '=' sign instead got: .e12.B1850C5.f19_g16.i09ka.01.rtm.r.0901-01-01-00000.nc
ERROR: rtm.buildnml.csh failed
ERROR: /glade/u/home/andreamo/cases/test1/preview_namelists failed: 25344

If I'm reading the error output correctly, this seems to be an issue with RTM namelist creation.
From env_run.xml:
Code:
<!--"RTM build-namelist options (char) " →
<entry id="RTM_BLDNML_OPTS"   value="-simyr 1850"  />
<!--"RTM specific namelist settings (char) " →
<entry id="RTM_NAMELIST_OPTS"   value=""  />

Should there be a different value specified for RTM_BLDNML_OPTS or RTM_NAMELIST_OPTS? Any help is appreciated.

AndreaMoore

Andrea Moore
It looks like there is a bug in the rtm.buildnml.csh script related to branch runs. I followed the steps in this post and the setup was able to complete.