Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Incomplete Buildconf/cice.input_data_list

liren

Liren
Dear All,

When I'm trying to use the CESM2.1.3 ETEST compset and CESM successfully submitted the job. The job collapsed because CICE cannot find input files:
Code:
forrtl: severe (30): open failure, unit 99, file
$CESM_ROOT/cime/output/inputdata/
Image              PC                Routine            Line        Source

cesm.exe           00000000026A261E  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
cesm.exe           00000000026C1F85  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
cesm.exe           00000000017A29FC  ice_read_write_mp          93  ice_read_write.F9
cesm.exe           00000000016F4EAD  ice_grid_mp_init_         182  ice_grid.F90
cesm.exe           00000000017EAF1C  cice_initmod_mp_c          96  CICE_InitMod.F90
cesm.exe           00000000016A5633  ice_comp_mct_mp_i         245  ice_comp_mct.F90
cesm.exe           0000000000434346  component_mod_mp_         267  component_mod.F90
cesm.exe           000000000042315F  cime_comp_mod_mp_        1263  cime_comp_mod.F90
cesm.exe           00000000004314BF  MAIN__                    129  cime_driver.F90
cesm.exe           000000000041481E  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
libc-2.17.so       00002B13A8F58C05  __libc_start_main     Unknown  Unknown
cesm.exe           0000000000414729  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown

Then I check the "Buildconf/cice.input_data_list" and I found that the "grid_file" and "kmt_file" are not listed in "cice.input_data_list" file. The "Buildconf/cice.input_data_list" looks like this:
Code:
grid_file = $CESM_ROOT/cime/output/inputdata/
kmt_file = $CESM_ROOT/cime/output/inputdata/

I found this issue in github: Buildconf/cice.input_data_list incomplete #19 and the relative issue: fix issue with ice_ic and update cimeroot #20. These two issues describe the problems similar to mine. I also tried to search and download the two files above but I didn't find those files.

Seems like the error arise from some mistakes in download file list or something. Do you have any suggestions to fix this?

Sincerely,
Liren

dbailey

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
What resolution are you using for the sea ice and ocean? Sounds like there is no grid file for your choice of resolution.

liren

Liren
What resolution are you using for the sea ice and ocean? Sounds like there is no grid file for your choice of resolution.
Thank you for your kindly reply!

My grid resolution is "f09_f09_mg17". Maybe this resolution are not suitable for ETEST compset. But I didn't found appropriate grid resolution because ETEST is not a "Scientific / Tested" compset. Would you mind suggest me some suitable resolution that might be effective? Thanks in advance!

dbailey

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
That is the problem. Since the E compset actually uses fully active sea ice and a slab ocean model, you will want to use a resolution combination as in the fully-coupled situation. So, for example, f09_g17_mg17. Make sure you do not use ETEST. This is as it suggests for testing purposes. You will need an E compset and make sure you should the appropriate SOM forcing file (DOCN_SOM__FILENAME in env_run.xml). There is more here:

YCCircle

Yuanyuan HUANG
I met the same problem as yours. Same errors in the log file and the same cice.input_data_list. My grid resolution is also "f09_f09_mg17". I'm not sure if the errors are due to the incorrect grid resolution or the incorrect SOM forcing file.

liren

Liren
I met the same problem as yours. Same errors in the log file and the same cice.input_data_list. My grid resolution is also "f09_f09_mg17". I'm not sure if the errors are due to the incorrect grid resolution or the incorrect SOM forcing file.
Yes, the ocean resolution f09 in "f09_f09_mg17" doesn't have a appropriate SOM forcing file. Just as described in the link provided by #4, there are several SOM forcing file and all of them have different ocean grid resolution. You should check the SOM forcing file carefully.

By the way, I used default forcing file with "f09_g16" grid resolution eventually. Hope this infomation may help you and other people