Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Irregular Fluctuations in Monthly Mean SOLIN Variable in CESM2.1.1 Simulation

xc-wang

Xiaochun Wang
Greetings,

I am writing to seek your help regarding an issue I encountered in my CESM2.1.1 WACCM simulation. During the simulation, I used the branch restart method multiple times. However, I noticed that the monthly mean values of the SOLIN variable show irregular fluctuations instead of following a consistent pattern.
To provide more context, I performed simulations using CESM2.1.1 with the compset BWSSP245, while largely following the default configuration. The only modification I made was replacing the CAM module's input emission inventory.
As far as I know according to the definition of SOLIN in the source code of CESM should be a regular cyclical trend. Despite adhering to the default configuration and carefully implementing the branch restart method, I have observed unexpected irregular fluctuations in the monthly mean SOLIN values. These fluctuations deviate from the anticipated smooth and consistent behavior.
I kindly request your insights into the possible causes of these irregular fluctuations in the monthly mean SOLIN values. Are there any known issues or considerations related that could contribute to such irregularities?
The latitudinal distribution of the monthly mean values of SOLIN (upper panel) and the month-to-month variation of the global mean values (lower panel) are shown in the figure.
1683890593915.png
I can provide more detailed configuration files, etc. if needed.
Thanks in advance