Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

issue using irrigation in model run

tresamt

Tresa Mary
Hi Slevis,
Thankyou for the suggestion. I have now build SSP cases in CESM 2.1.3, with and without irrigation. They are still in queue.

I have one more doubt. Can I specify a grid location (especially for crop) to be only rainfed? In other words, can I change the input file for surface data such that predefined grid locations crops can be completely rainfed only?
If yes, what should be the input file I should work with?

tresamt

Tresa Mary
Hi Slevis,
Thankyou for the suggestion. I have now build SSP cases in CESM 2.1.3, with and without irrigation. They are still in queue.

I have one more doubt. Can I specify a grid location (especially for crop) to be only rainfed? In other words, can I change the input file for surface data such that predefined grid locations crops can be completely rainfed only?
If yes, what should be the input file I should work with?

To be more precise,

In CLM5 there is a statement: 'When irrigation is enabled, the crop areas of each grid cell are divided into irrigated and rainfed fractions according to a dataset of areas equipped for irrigation (Portmann et al. 2010).'

Is it possible to change this dataset of 'areas equipped for irrigation'?

Thankyou
Tresa

slevis

Yes. Your simulation's fsurdat file (surface dataset) contains this information, and you are welcome to modify.

tresamt

Tresa Mary
Thankyou Slevis.
I checked the fsurdat file. There is a gridded constant rate for nitrogen fertilizer for each crop. But no such variable exist for of 'areas equipped for irrigation'. None of the variables correspond to irrigation too.

There is 'percent plant functional type on the natural veg landunit (% of landunit)' and 'percent crop functional type on the crop landunit (% of landunit)'.
So if I want to not irrigate at certain grid locations, should I make the irrigated PFTs and CFT and those grids zero?

Regards
Tresa

slevis

Yes. Keep in mind that certain percentages need to add up to 100 for the model to work. This means that if you reduce some percentage to zero, you will need to increase some other percentage accordingly.

tresamt

Tresa Mary
Hi Slevis,
I was trying to play around with crop irrigation in CESM2.1.3.
As suggested in #26, I changed the fsurdat. First to get an overview, I tried using it in a F-compset case. But the default fsurdat input file for F-compset is with only 16PFT. I changed the fsurdat and maxpatch_pft = 79 in usr_nl_clm.

While running the following error happens: check_dim ERROR: mismatch of input dimension 79 with expected value 17 for variable lsmpft.

The default for use_crop is also false, which when tried to change to true, runs to the following error while building:
The namelist variable use_crop is inconsistent with the -bgc option

Is it possible to change the bgc option for my text case with F-comspet?

Thankyou
Tresa

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
There is a FHIST_BGC compset (instead of FHIST) which will turn on BGC. Alternatively, you can change the compset longname when creating the case, e.g., for FHIST, which is:

HIST_CAM60_CLM50%SP_CICE%PRES_DOCN%DOM_MOSART_CISM2%NOEVOLVE_SWAV

change it to:

HIST_CAM60_CLM50%BGC-CROP_CICE%PRES_DOCN%DOM_MOSART_CISM2%NOEVOLVE_SWAV

tresamt

Tresa Mary
Thank you Oleson,
I actually changed in env_run.xml. Had to add a few extra things also in user_nl_clm.

But I think your way is the cleanest.
Thank you
Tresa