Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

"Lagrangian levels are crossing" when changing topography in WACCM

Ollie

Pan
Dear all,

I'm trying to run CESM2.1.3 with FW2000climo compset, and resolution is f09_f09_mg17. I'm able to run the case successfully.
However, after I changed topography file by reducing PHIS, SGH, and SGH30, the case failed, with the error messages like:
Lagrangian levels are crossing 9.999999999999999E-012
Run will ABORT!
Suggest to increase NSPLTVRM
ERROR: te_map: Lagrangian levels are crossing
(from the first file attached)

Then, I tried to increase fv_nspltvrm, and fv_nsplit, fv_nspltrac, followed by the instructions on Here.
But it didn't work. I got the unhelpful error message:
forrtl: severe (174): SIGSEGV, segmentation fault occurred
(from the second file attached)

I tried many different values of fv_nspltvrm, fv_nsplit and fv_nspltrac, but the same problem occurred.

Then, I turned on DEBUG flag, and after several minutes, the programme died again, but with the new error:
forrtl: error (73): floating divide by zero
(from the third file attached)

What I modified in the topo file is just reducing the height of some mountains, such as Rocky mountains or Himalaya. Now, I've known that because of the changed orography, the model becomes instable, especially in the top of atmosphere, and I need to increase NSPLTVRM to get through the instability. However, when I increase NSPLTVRM, the segmentation fault will occur. So, I've no idea what to do next.

Any suggestions would be greatly helpful!
Thanks in advance!

cacraig

Cheryl Craig
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
This is a WACCM specific question (and the referenced thread was answered by the WACCM folks previously), so I will move this to the WACCM forum.