Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Latent heat flux at the PFT level

Dani_56

Dani Loqueloque
Good day! I wanted to ask some clarifications on the CLM gridcell level outputs. I am currently running CLM4.5 coupled with a RegCM model, and I have two experiments, one using the default vegetation cover and the other being the updated 2020 cover with evident deforestation in large areas. Upon checking the results of the two setups, I found evident differences in sensible heat flux and minimal changes in latent heat flux. In order to explore the resulting latent heat flux, I wanted to at look its components in the LSM, which at a gridcell level is available for soil evaporation, canopy evaporation, and canopy transportation in the h0 CLM history files. In this case, I wanted to ask if it would be possible to estimate for the evaporation and transportation in the vegetation at the PFT level using the given gridcell values? Any comments or suggestions will be highly appreciated! Thank you!

Dani_56

Dani Loqueloque
Am I right to assume that canopy evaporation (QVEGE) and canopy transpiration (QVEGT) at the PFT level can be estimated by using the pft weight relative to corresponding gridcell values (PFT_WTGCELL)? I've only read so far that landunit level can be estimated from pft or column level values, but was not clear if it could be applied to gridcell.

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
You can request PFT level information in your history files. See, for example, this post:

There isn't a way to get PFT level information from gridcell averages.