Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Meteorological data sets

nuvolet

Toni Viudez
Hi all,

I am reading the documentation for CAM6.0, and in chapter 7about input datasets, in section 7.5 for meteorological data sets it is claimed that CAM uses GEOS5 and MERRA2 meteorological reanalysis.

• How could I know which datasets are used?. Both?.
  • How could I customize that input?
  • Is possible to change it by an external datasets and how could I do it?

Thanks in advance

cacraig

Cheryl Craig
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
I can give you a high-level answer to your request about MERRA2 dataset use in CAM.

There is one F compset which utilizes MERRA2 and it is FCSD. To see the actual datafiles which are used, do the following:

Code:
./create_newcase --case test_fcsd --compset FCSD --res f09_f09_mg17 --compiler gnu --run-unsupported
cd test_fcsd
./case.setup
./preview_namelists

You may then inspect the CaseDocs/atm_in file and see which MERRA2 datasets are being used

I should point out that I personally have never run this compset and it is a chemistry/specified dynamics compset which may or may not be what you want to use. It does give you an example of MERRA2 dataset usage though.