Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Modifying the incident solar flux in the Parallel Offline Radiative Transfer Tool (PORT)

jgvirgin@uwaterloo_ca

Jack Virgin
Hi All,

I have successfully setup CAMRT to run offline with CESM1.2.2. Following the instructions from here and its source publication. Running PORT requires a high temporal resolution (~every day and a half) radiation data to be fed into the model. I have been able to run PORT with perturbed CO2 mass mixing ratios, but I was wondering how to modify incoming solar flux. I have attached the printed output of an ncdump command of one of the input files for reference.

Other potentially relevant information:
  • Set
    XML:
    <entry id="CAM_CONFIG_OPTS"   value="-phys cam4 -offline_drv rad"  />
  • My user_nl_cam:
    • Code:
      &cam_inparm
      fincl2 = 'QRS', 'QRL', 'FLNTC', 'FLNT', 'FLNSC', 'FLNS', 'FSNTC', 'FSNT', 'FSNSC', 'FSNS', 'FLNR', 'FSNR'
      iradsw = 1
      iradlw = 1
      iradae = 1
      ndens=1,1
      nhtfrq = 0,73
      mfilt = 1,1
      avgflag_pertape = 'A','I'
      rad_data_output = .true.
      offline_driver_fileslist = '/scratch/c/cgf/jgvirgin/cesm1_2_2/runs/p.e12.2xCO2IRF.f45_f45.JGV.1/p.e12.2xCO2IRF.f45_f45.JGV.1.list'
      offline_driver_do_fdh = .false.

Perturbing CO2 was as simple as modifying the rad_CO2 variable in every input file, but I don't see an equivalent solar insolation variable, Modifying sol_tsi had no effect, so I presume PORT is only using variables starting with rad_ to drive CAMRT. Do I need to make source code modifications to get the solar constant (I think the variable name is SOLIN) included in PORT's output, to which I can then modify and use as input? If so, how would I go about doing this?

Any guidance would be appreciated,
Jack

Attachments

• sample.txt
    14.7 KB · Views: 4

cacraig

Cheryl Craig
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
I spoke with the person who has answered some PORT questions in the past, and the thought was that SOLIN should work for you. Since it does not, the answer was not apparent to them. Unfortunately the original author of PORT has retired so I am not able to ask them. Hopefully someone in the community who has used PORT can answer your question or you can discover the answer yourself.

tresamt

Tresa Mary
Hi All,

I have successfully setup CAMRT to run offline with CESM1.2.2. Following the instructions from here and its source publication. Running PORT requires a high temporal resolution (~every day and a half) radiation data to be fed into the model. I have been able to run PORT with perturbed CO2 mass mixing ratios, but I was wondering how to modify incoming solar flux. I have attached the printed output of an ncdump command of one of the input files for reference.

Other potentially relevant information:
  • Set
    XML:
    <entry id="CAM_CONFIG_OPTS"   value="-phys cam4 -offline_drv rad"  />
  • My user_nl_cam:
    • Code:
      &cam_inparm
      fincl2 = 'QRS', 'QRL', 'FLNTC', 'FLNT', 'FLNSC', 'FLNS', 'FSNTC', 'FSNT', 'FSNSC', 'FSNS', 'FLNR', 'FSNR'
      iradsw = 1
      iradlw = 1
      iradae = 1
      ndens=1,1
      nhtfrq = 0,73
      mfilt = 1,1
      avgflag_pertape = 'A','I'
      rad_data_output = .true.
      offline_driver_fileslist = '/scratch/c/cgf/jgvirgin/cesm1_2_2/runs/p.e12.2xCO2IRF.f45_f45.JGV.1/p.e12.2xCO2IRF.f45_f45.JGV.1.list'
      offline_driver_do_fdh = .false.

Perturbing CO2 was as simple as modifying the rad_CO2 variable in every input file, but I don't see an equivalent solar insolation variable, Modifying sol_tsi had no effect, so I presume PORT is only using variables starting with rad_ to drive CAMRT. Do I need to make source code modifications to get the solar constant (I think the variable name is SOLIN) included in PORT's output, to which I can then modify and use as input? If so, how would I go about doing this?

Any guidance would be appreciated,
Jack

Hi,
Were you able to run port with CESM1.2.2?