Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

MOM6 vertical structure

prasanna

Prasanna Kanti Ghoshal
I am asked to check which vertical co-ordinate system(z*,sigma,hybrid) represents best vertical structure of Indian Ocean. I am supposed to create a grid for Indian Ocean region with all these 3 vertical system in MOM6. I am not getting any clue from the examples. Can anyone help me???

adcroft

Alistair Adcroft
I suggest you try the 75 level hybrid coordinate in ice_ocean_SIS2/OM4_025. It uses the densities from the file hycom1_75_800m.nc, and a in-code function for the z* part of the column. We have no software for generating the density profiles - it turns out to be a hard problem. If you want to change the number of levels, you'll have to fiddle around with the numbers - we did it by hand.

For a z* coordinate, change
Code:
ALE_COORDINATE_CONFIG = "FNC1:2,6500,6,.01" ! default = "UNIFORM"
                                !  FNC1:string - FNC1:dz_min,H_total,power,precision

The above are the settings we used in https://doi.org/10.1029/2019MS001726 .

I don't recommend sigma coordinates with real topography, mostly because of unbounded topographic slopes, but also because we have not tried/tested it.