Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

NO fire emissions (FireComp_NO) from CLM5

Hemraj

Hemraj Bhattarai
Hi,

I have recently conducted simulations using CLM5 in CESM2.2.0, and I am particularly concerned about the emissions from land fires. I compared several species using both the GFED4 and CMIP6 biomass-burning emissions files. While the emissions of all other species appear to match reasonably well, I noticed that the global NO emissions from CLM5 (3.43 Tg/yr) are approximately four times lower compared to GFED4 (13.6 Tg/yr; average from 2006 to 2015). Could someone please explain why there is such a significant difference?

Thank you.

-Hemraj

m_valmartin@sheffield_ac_uk

Maria Val Martin
Hi Hemraj, I replied your email but I'm copying the answer here too in case somebody runs into the same question.

The CLM5 fire module has two type of emission factors for nitrogen oxides, NO as NO and NOx as NO. The EFs for NOx are about 2-3 time larger than NO EFs, specially for savannas.

GFED reports fire NOx emissions (as NO). CMIP6 does too as they are based on GFED. So, GFED is using the EFs for NOx, instead of EFs for NO as the CLM5 fire module.

To compare fire NOx emissions from CLM5 to GFED, you need to use FireComp_NOx. Now, I believe it is not output by default so you need to define the variable in your fire_emis_specifier= 'NOx=NOx'.

Another option would be to compare the CLM5 fire species against another fire emission inventory that reports fire NO emissions, for example FINN2.5 (NCAR RDA Dataset ds312.9)

I hope this helps!

Maria