Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Output BVOC species mixing ratios in CAM6

James King

James King
Hi all,

I'm a CESM2 novice interested in BVOC emissions. I'm planning some runs using a CESM2 build that couples CLM5 and CAM6. I know that the MEGAN model in CLM5 produces various BVOC species and that CAM6 can be set to show the MEGAN fluxes from the land to the atmosphere by adding the required fields to the namelist (e.g. MEG_ISOP for isoprene). I can also see that MOZART converts MEGAN species into its own output fields (e.g. ISOP) for which concentrations are output in %mol (mol/mol). Is there a way to output the concentrations directly as mixing ratios, or should I just calculate this manually from the output?

Cheers,

James

rrbuchholz

Rebecca Buchholz
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Hi James,

My understanding is we generally use mole fraction as equivalent to volume mixing ratio, i.e. the model essentially already outputs as mixing ratios. For example a mole fraction of 10^{-6} is ppm(v) and mole fraction 10^{-9} is ppb(v).

I hope that helps.

Best,
Rebecca

James King

James King
Hi James,

My understanding is we generally use mole fraction as equivalent to volume mixing ratio, i.e. the model essentially already outputs as mixing ratios. For example a mole fraction of 10^{-6} is ppm(v) and mole fraction 10^{-9} is ppb(v).

I hope that helps.

Best,
Rebecca

Thanks Rebecca, that makes sense.