Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Output files missing

TCNasa

Tom Caldwell
I'm only getting output NetCDF file for the coupler. Any suggestions why the other component NetCDF files are missing?

mlevy

Michael Levy
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
It looks like your case is not running at all. Is the above error message in a log file, or is it returned to stderr when you try to run case.submit?

TCNasa

Tom Caldwell
It's returned to stderr. I've tried other cases that give me more output files and run longer but still have this error at some later point

mlevy

Michael Levy
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
What command are you running from the command line? And can you list some of the file names that are appearing? It sounds like the error is occurring before the case begins to run, but maybe some of the input data is being copied into the run directory? I'm going to move this to the infrastructure forum because it sounds like a problem with the CIME scripts or the machine configuration.

TCNasa

Tom Caldwell
I'm only getting the coupler output in the run directory after case.submit

TomCase5.cpl.r.0002-03-08-00000.nc

mlevy

Michael Levy
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
I'm only getting the coupler output in the run directory after case.submit

TomCase5.cpl.r.0002-03-08-00000.nc

That's a restart file, so it looks like the case ran for a bit. In your case directory, can you run

Code:
$ ./xmlquery DOUT_S,DOUT_S_ROOT

If DOUT_S=TRUE, then the short-term archiver is turned on and all history & log files will be moved to the DOUT_S_ROOT directory

mlevy

Michael Levy
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
(output is moved to the short-term archive at the end of a successful run; if the run aborts, then output will stay in RUNDIR)

TCNasa

Tom Caldwell
My case does say "MODEL EXECUTION HAS FINISHED"
Maybe it's not such a big problem?
This particular case is from the documentation to check functionality:

./create_newcase --case TomCase5 --compset X --res f19_g16

Other cases run longer and provide more outputs.
Thanks for your help

jedwards

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
What case or test are you running - please provide enough information to reproduce the problem. Here is a link with suggested info you should provide: