Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

pio error (cesm1_2_2)

I have an error when I try to build the case (cesm1_2_2)
command: ./test1.build
error message:
file: test1/intel/openmpi/nodebug/nothreads/pio.bldlog.140708-103452
error:
CC=mpicc CXX=mpicxx FC=mpif90 LDFLAGS="" cmake -D CMAKE_Fortran_FLAGS:STRING="-fp-model source -convert big_endian -assume byterecl -ftz -traceback -assume realloc_lhs -O2 -DLINUX -DNDEBUG -DMCT_INTERFACE -DHAVE_MPI -DFORTRANUNDERSCORE -DNO_R16 -DLINUX -DCPRINTEL -DHAVE_SLASHPROC -I. -I/R2/jia/WorkStation/test1/intel/openmpi/nodebug/nothreads/include -I/R2/jia/WorkStation/test1/intel/openmpi/nodebug/nothreads/MCT/noesmf/a1l1r1i1o1g1w1/csm_share -I/R2/jia/local/intelSET/include -I/R2/jia/WorkStation/test1/intel/openmpi/nodebug/nothreads/include -I/R2/jia/CESM/cesm1_2_2/models/csm_share/shr" -D CMAKE_C_FLAGS:STRING="-O2 -fp-model precise -DLINUX -DNDEBUG -DMCT_INTERFACE -DHAVE_MPI -DFORTRANUNDERSCORE -DNO_R16 -DLINUX -DCPRINTEL -DHAVE_SLASHPROC -I. -I/R2/jia/WorkStation/test1/intel/openmpi/nodebug/nothreads/include -I/R2/jia/WorkStation/test1/intel/openmpi/nodebug/nothreads/MCT/noesmf/a1l1r1i1o1g1w1/csm_share -I/R2/jia/local/intelSET/include -I/R2/jia/WorkStation/test1/intel/openmpi/nodebug/nothreads/include -I/R2/jia/CESM/cesm1_2_2/models/csm_share/shr" -D CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS:STRING="-O2 -fp-model precise -DLINUX -DNDEBUG -DMCT_INTERFACE -DHAVE_MPI -DFORTRANUNDERSCORE -DNO_R16 -DLINUX -DCPRINTEL -DHAVE_SLASHPROC -I. -I/R2/jia/WorkStation/test1/intel/openmpi/nodebug/nothreads/include -I/R2/jia/WorkStation/test1/intel/openmpi/nodebug/nothreads/MCT/noesmf/a1l1r1i1o1g1w1/csm_share -I/R2/jia/local/intelSET/include -I/R2/jia/WorkStation/test1/intel/openmpi/nodebug/nothreads/include -I/R2/jia/CESM/cesm1_2_2/models/csm_share/shr" -D CMAKE_VERBOSE_MAKEFILE:BOOL=ON -D NETCDF_DIR:STRING=USERDEFINED_MUST_EDIT_THIS -D USER_CMAKE_MODULE_DIR:STRING=/R2/jia/CESM/cesm1_2_2/scripts/ccsm_utils/CMake -D WITH_PNETCDF:LOGICAL=FALSE -D USER_CMAKE_MODULE_PATH=/R2/jia/CESM/cesm1_2_2/scripts/ccsm_utils/CMake -D GENF90_PATH=/R2/jia/CESM/cesm1_2_2/tools/cprnc/genf90 /R2/jia/CESM/cesm1_2_2/models/utils/pio
/bin/sh: line 1: cmake: command not found
gmake: *** [test1/intel/openmpi/nodebug/nothreads/pio/Makefile] Error 127
exit 1

And I check the pio directory in cesm1_2_2/models/utils/pio, and compared to older version, there is NO configure executable in the directory, Would it cause the problem?

jedwards

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Here is the error:   /bin/sh: line 1: cmake: command not found You need to install cmake http://www.cmake.org/

after install the cmake, the pio build still has errors: (the pio log is attached)-- Configuring doneCMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:190 (ADD_LIBRARY):  Target "pio" links to item " -LNETCDF_LIB_DIR-NOTFOUND -lnetcdf" which has  leading or trailing whitespace.  This is now an error according to policy  CMP0004. and in the log file, it said couldn't find netcdf-fortran lib, but it is actually in directory: /R2/jia/local/intelSET/lib, libnetcdff.so, so is the hdf5 library.

jedwards

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member

Code:
NETCDF_DIR:STRING=USERDEFINED_MUST_EDIT_THIS<br /><br /><br />You need to edit the path to NETCDF in the case Macros file  this is copied from ccsm_utils/Machines/config_compilers.xml <br /><br />Check your case directory for other occurances of the string USERDEFINED

after I change the USERDEFINED variables in Macro, the pio build is OK. But csm_share build has error (the csm_share log is attached):: catastrophic error: **Internal compiler error: internal abort** Please report this error along with the circumstances in which it occurred in a Software Problem Report.  Note: File and line given may not be explicit cause of this error. compilation aborted for /R2/jia/CESM/cesm1_2_2/models/csm_share/shr/shr_dmodel_mod.F90 (code 3)

jedwards

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
What version of the intel compiler are you using?   We are currently using 13.1.2.   If you have an older one try updating, if you are using a newer version thanyou should report the problem to intel.

When I try the CESM 1.1.1, the build process is OK with intel version 11.1But I have a strange error after I porting the CESM 1.1.1 and try to run the same case again. The error occurs when I use the command:./test1.runerror message is :./Tools/ccsm_getenv: line 11: syntax error near unexpected token `('./Tools/ccsm_getenv: line 11: `foreach i (env_case.xml env_run.xml env_mach_pes.xml env_build.xml)'But ./Tools/ccsm_getenv is fine when I use the userdefined machine.

And the problem didn't occur in the build process.I test the Tools/ccsm_getenv, and find that "Tools/ccsm_getenv" command is OK, but "source Tools/ccsm_getenv " command has the error mentioned above.

solve the problem by the posting:alberto.sadde@...Thought of posting my workaround to this strange error.You will need to run the script using csh your_model.run. My guess is that the the system tries to run the csh as a normal sh script in this case.when I use csh ./test1.run, it is OK (my env is sh)

Hello,  I am having a PIO error with the same netcdf issue. error: cat /scratch/rice/j/jbuzan/output/I.MO.12_repeat_0_CN_cru_x1_122_wb/intel/openmpi/nodebug/nothreads/pio.bldlog.160406-221952WARNING: did not find netcdf fortran libraryNETCDF built without MPIIO-- Found HDF5: /usr/lib64/libz.so;/usr/lib64/libm.so;/usr/lib64/libhdf5_hl.so;/usr/lib64/libhdf5.so  -- Adding hdf5 libraries -- Could NOT find NETCDF (missing:  NETCDF_Fortran_LIBRARY) -- Found pnetcdf: /depot/huberm/apps/jon_messing_around/PNetcdf_Build/lib/libpnetcdf.a  -- MPIIO detected and enabled.-- MPI Fortran module detected and enabled.-- Configuring doneCMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:190 (ADD_LIBRARY):  Target "pio" links to item "  -L/apps/rhel6/netcdf/4.1.1_intel-13.0.1.117/lib -lnetcdf" which has leading  or trailing whitespace.  This is now an error according to policy CMP0004.  I have set NETCDF_DIR: and NETCDF_PATH.  I am not sure what else to do. -Jonathan Macros File:# Makefile Macros generated from /scratch/rice/j/jbuzan/cesm/cesm1_2_2-Change/scripts/ccsm_utils/Machines/config_compilers.xml using# COMPILER=intel# OS=LINUX# MACH=rice#CPPDEFS+= -DFORTRANUNDERSCORE -DNO_R16 -DLINUX -DCPRINTEL  SLIBS+=-L/apps/rhel6/netcdf/4.1.1_intel-13.0.1.117/lib -lnetcdff -lnetcdf -Bstatic -Wl,--start-group /apps/rhel6/intel/composer_xe_2013.1.117/mkl/lib/intel64/libmkl_intel_lp64.a /apps/rhel6/intel/composer_xe_2013.1.117/mkl/lib/intel64/libmkl_intel_thread.a /apps/rhel6/intel/composer_xe_2013.1.117/mkl/lib/intel64/libmkl_core.a -Wl,--end-group -Bdynamic -liomp5 -lpthread -Xlinker -rpath -Xlinker /apps/rhel6/intel/composer_xe_2013.1.117/compiler/lib/intel64 -I/depot/huberm/apps/jon_messing_around/PNetcdf_Build/include -L/depot/huberm/apps/jon_messing_around/PNetcdf_Build/lib -lpnetcdf CFLAGS:= -O2 -fp-model precise  CXX_LDFLAGS:= -cxxlib  CXX_LINKER:=FORTRAN FC_AUTO_R8:= -r8  FFLAGS:= -O2 -fp-model source -convert big_endian -assume byterecl -ftz -traceback  FFLAGS_NOOPT:= -O0  FIXEDFLAGS:= -fixed -132  FREEFLAGS:= -free  MPICC:= mpicc   MPICXX:= mpicxx  MPIFC:= mpif90  MPI_PATH:=/apps/rhel6/openmpi/1.8.1/intel-13.0.1.117 NETCDF_DIR:=/apps/rhel6/netcdf/4.1.1_intel-13.0.1.117 NETCDF_PATH:=/apps/rhel6/netcdf/4.1.1_intel-13.0.1.117 PIO_PATH:=/depot/huberm/apps/jon_messing_around/PIO_Install PNETCDF_PATH:=/depot/huberm/apps/jon_messing_around/PNetcdf_Build SCC:= icc  SCXX:= icpc  SFC:= ifort  SUPPORTS_CXX:=TRUE ifeq ($(DEBUG), TRUE)    FFLAGS += -g -CU -check pointers -fpe0  endif ifeq ($(compile_threaded), true)                                           

jedwards

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
This is the problem: Target "pio" links to item "  -L/apps/rhel6/netcdf/4.1.1_intel-13.0.1.117/lib -lnetcdf" which has leading  or trailing whitespace.  This is now an error according to policy CMP0004.Somehow there is a lot of extra whtespace at the beginnig of that line, but I can't tell the root cause from what you've sent me.   THe netcdf version that you are using is very old and the solution may be to build and link to a newer version.

I am also having problems when building the pio library.I got these 2 error messages:CMake Error: The source directory "/home/ma017/cesm1_2_2/models/utils/pio" does not exist.gmake: *** [/home/ma017/export/waccm/builtrun/waccm_1/intel/mpich/nodebug/nothreads/pio/Makefile] Error 1I am attaching the complete error message. I would appreciate any comment on this matter. Thanks! Fede.

jedwards

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
> The source directory "/home/ma017/cesm1_2_2/models/utils/pio" does not exist.I suspect that there was an error when you checked the code out - Try checking out the code again.   

I was able to somehow solve the problem with pio library... However, I have problems when building the csm_share library.I am attaching the error message. It looks like cesm is not compatible with pio version.Thanks!Fede.

jedwards

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Looks like there is still a problem with the pio build - can you attach that build log.   Also where / how did you get the cesm source code?

Hi again. Sorry to insist with this, but have you found a solution to the problem I reported?I would appreciate any advice, because I am really stucked at this point and can't go forward.Thanks! 

jedwards

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
From the latest pio log it looks like your build directory is corrupted by an earlier attempt to build run  rm -fr test1/intel/   and try again.