Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Porting CLM/CESM to a new server: Seeking a 'porting primer' if there is one?

tobmar

Toby Marthews
Dear CESM Community,

I am a complete newbie with CLM (though I have experience of other land surface models run on UNIX platforms). I have been trying to put together a first run of CLM, but I am completely stuck on the process of creating a CASE.

To cut a long story short, I am trying to do this on a supercluster in the UK called Polar. I have followed a few tutorials and have set up as much as I can, but I still get an error saying that my case is "not well-formed (invalid token)".

I'm attaching the complete session for reference, but according to IT Support here at my institution (UKCEH) - specifically our IT expert Andy - most likely the problem is related to the operating system on the platform I am using. We have been recently upgraded to Centos 7 and some other machines here are on Rocky 8 or Rocky 9. We have parallel NetCDF libraries installed, but Andy tells me it's not sufficient to just have 'a parallel NetCDF library' installed: for a model like CLM to work here it has to be the right kind of parallel NetCDF library and, although I've searched, this information does not seem to be easily available from simple searches online.

Andy tells me it's not that we can't sort out the correct setup for CLM here: it's just that in order to replicate the setup on a computer like Cheyenne, for example, we would have to have a complete list of all modules installed and available there, and that sort of detailed information is hard to get.

Is there by any chance any 'porting primer' file that someone might be able to share with me that would have this sort of specific information in it? That would be extremely helpful!

Best wishes,

Toby

Attachments

• session.txt
    9.6 KB · Views: 3

jedwards

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member

The first link is our master documentation, the second is for cesm2.2 which is the version you have downloaded.
I do not recommend using cesm2.2 and depending on your intentions you should either use the 2.1.5 release or
a recent development version.

The error you are getting is due to a syntax error in your config_machines.xml file.
> not well-formed (invalid token): line 2755, column 29

I see you are using python 2.7 - although cesm2.2 should still be compatible with python2.7 that version of python is no longer supported
and I recommend using python 3.7 or newer.