Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Prescribe dust and sea salt aerosols in CAM6

Lian Xue

Lian Xue
Hi all~

I'm trying to prescribe the dust and sea salt aerosol in two runs with F2010climo compsets, since I hope these two species remain the same when making comparisons. I set the prescribed_aero_nl group in user_nl_cam file as follows:

&prescribed_aero_nl
prescribed_aero_cycle_yr = 2000
prescribed_aero_datapath = '$CESMinputdatapath/atm/cam/chem/trop_mam/aero'
prescribed_aero_file = 'mam3_1.9x2.5_L30_2000clim_c130319.nc'
prescribed_aero_specifier = 'dst_c1', 'ncl_c1','ncl_c2','dst_c3', 'ncl_c3','dst_a1_logm', 'ncl_a1_logm', 'ncl_a2_logm', 'dst_a3_logm', 'ncl_a3_logm', 'dst_a1_logv', 'ncl_a1_logv', 'ncl_a2_logv', 'dst_a3_logv', 'ncl_a3_logv'
prescribed_aero_type = 'CYCLICAL'
prescribed_aero_model = 'modal'

But it turns out that this didn't work, since the dust and sea salt show large inconsistency with both the input mam3 nc file and each other. Did I mismanage it?

Many thanks to all!

AshaJain

Asha Jain
I think you can shut off prognostic dust model calculations by setting the dust_emis_fac namelist variable to a large value. This variable divides the dust emissions computed in the land model. There may be something similar for sea salt. From here, you can specify your own dust surface emissions and set the surface emissions to "cyclical"