Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Problems about compset for CMIP6 piControl and 1pctCO2

Mikasa

sky
Hello, I want to do experiments based on the CMIP6 piControl and 1pctCO2 compset. And I found the probably right out-of-the-box compset:

1646294617511.png

Are the compsets above suitable for my scientific case ? Additionally, I found the following notes on the webpage https://csegweb.cgd.ucar.edu/experiments/public/ .

A pre-industrial control simulation with non-evolving pre-industrial conditions. Conditions chosen to be representative of the period prior to the onset of large-scale industrialization, with 1850 being the reference year. The piControl starts after an initial climate spin-up, during which the climate begins to come into balance with the forcing. The recommended minimum length for the piControl is 500 years.​

Does it mean I have to run the piControl for more than 500 years ? If so, it is really a huge demand for resources and time.

jedwards

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
We have already completed the control runs and that data is publicly available.
You should make sure that your system has passed the ECT test before proceeding.
If that test passes these should be the compsets you want.

Mikasa

sky
We have already completed the control runs and that data is publicly available.
You should make sure that your system has passed the ECT test before proceeding.
If that test passes these should be the compsets you want.
I have passed the ECT test. The public data of control run does not have the variable we want. So can I just run the piControl for 150 years not 500 years ?

Mikasa

sky
What variable(s) are missing from the piControl that you want?
Thanks you for your reply! Indeed, we want the cpl histoty file of piControl to get the variables like xao_ax_Faox_swdn, xao_ax_Faox_taux and so on. Are they in the public data?

strandwg

Staff member
Thanks you for your reply! Indeed, we want the cpl histoty file of piControl to get the variables like xao_ax_Faox_swdn, xao_ax_Faox_taux and so on. Are they in the public data?

I'm sorry, but it appears the coupler history files we have from the FV 1 degree 1850 control do not contain the fields you want.