Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Question about the extra model top layer for radiation

zshen

Zhaoyi Shen
Hi,

I am looking at the radiation calculation in CAM, and notice this in the CAM3 documentation:
The CAM 3.0 model atmosphere is divided into K + 1 layers in the vertical; an extra top layer (with index 0, above the K layers specified by CAM 3.0) is added. This extra layer prevents excessive heating in the top layer when the top pressure is not very low; also, as the model does not specify absorber properties above its top layer, the optical properties of the top layer must be used for the extra layer.
I wonder if this is still true in CAM5 or CAM6, and if there is any more detailed documentation on how the properties of this layer are chosen? Thanks!

brianpm

It is the case that there is an "extra layer" added in the radiation calculation. That's why, for example, FSNT and FSNTOA are not identical in the output files. I'm not aware of any documentation of how that extra layer is treated. I think there's an assumption about the composition and temperature, but I'm not super sure. If you look at rrtmg_state.F90 it seems like it is using the top interface temperature and just putting it as the temperature of the upper layer and similarly for the gas concentrations. Maybe someone else can chime in if this is wrong.