Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Running CLM with f02g16 resolution

KeerZ

Hello! I am new to CLM and I am trying to run a case with as fine resolution as I can.

I know f02g16 resolution is not supported by NCAR, so I tried to create the domain and surfdata by myself. However, when I following the steps listed in CIME 5.6 document 3.2 Adding Grids, it did not work at the step to create domain. (When I tried to build the gen_domain executable, I created env_mach_specific.xml instead of env_mach_specific.sh).

Then I found that the domain file and surfdata file for 0.23*0.31 degree are actually available. (I found the surfdata at: /glade/p/cesmdata/cseg/inputdata/lnd/clm2/surfdata/surfdata_0.23x0.31_simyr2000_c100406.nc) So I specified the fsurdat path in user_nl_clm of my case and tried to build the case again. Then I get ERROR: Need to provide valid mapping file between glc and lnd in xml variable glc2lnd_smapname

Can anyone give me any advice on how to run CLM with f02g16 resolution?
Thank you!

m_valmartin@sheffield_ac_uk

Maria Val Martin
Hi, I am running clm5 at 0.23x0.31 and originally run into the same error. I think it was related with CISM2, the ice evolution model. I didn't find an elegant solution, I just used the stub glacier (and wave) component. So for present-day the compset is 2000_DATM%GSWP3v1_CLM50%BGC-CROP_SICE_SOCN_MOSART_SGLC_SWAV, instead of 2000_DATM%GSWP3v1_CLM50%BGC-CROP_SICE_SOCN_MOSART_CISM2%NOEVOLVE_SWAV

I have a 0.23x0.31 surface file with 78 pfts for year 2000, if you need. Are you working in cheyenne?

I hope this helps!

KeerZ

Hi, I am running clm5 at 0.23x0.31 and originally run into the same error. I think it was related with CISM2, the ice evolution model. I didn't find an elegant solution, I just used the stub glacier (and wave) component. So for present-day the compset is 2000_DATM%GSWP3v1_CLM50%BGC-CROP_SICE_SOCN_MOSART_SGLC_SWAV, instead of 2000_DATM%GSWP3v1_CLM50%BGC-CROP_SICE_SOCN_MOSART_CISM2%NOEVOLVE_SWAV

I have a 0.23x0.31 surface file with 78 pfts for year 2000, if you need. Are you working in cheyenne?

I hope this helps!
Hello! Yes, I work in Cheyenne. I will try stub glacier component when Cheyenne maintenance is over. Thank you very much!

I would appreciate it if you can share your surface file with me - I contacted you via conversation. Thanks!

billboos

William Boos
Maria and KeerZ, any chance you could share that 0.23x0.31 surface file (with 78 pfts) with me too? I'm running into the same problem that KeerZ had.

KeerZ

Maria and KeerZ, any chance you could share that 0.23x0.31 surface file (with 78 pfts) with me too? I'm running into the same problem that KeerZ had.
Unfortunately, I eventually worked on a 0.23x0.31 surface file with 16 pfts (I can share if you need it). So I did not keep Maria's surface data in my glade space. Probably maria can help you with the surf data with 78 pfts.

billboos

William Boos
Your file with 16 pfts would be fine for me -- I am focused on the atmospheric dynamics, and don't care much about the details of vegetation. In some ways I would even prefer the simplification of 16 over 78. So it would be great if you could share that. I have accounts on Cheyenne and Cori, or my email is william.boos@berkeley.edu. Thanks!

KeerZ

Your file with 16 pfts would be fine for me -- I am focused on the atmospheric dynamics, and don't care much about the details of vegetation. In some ways I would even prefer the simplification of 16 over 78. So it would be great if you could share that. I have accounts on Cheyenne and Cori, or my email is william.boos@berkeley.edu. Thanks!
Yes, happy to help!
You can find the surf data at /glade/work/keerzhang/surfacedata/surfdata_0.23x0.31_hist_16pfts_Irrig_CMIP6_simyr2000_c200322.nc