Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Running CLM5 in PTS_MODE - ERROR: single column mode must be run on 1 pe

domwoolf

Dominic Woolf
I'm seeking guidance on how (or whether it is still possible) to run latest CLM using PTS_MODE. In an earlier thread, I learned that create_newcase no longer support settings PTS_MODE / PTS_LAT / PTS_LON, and that instead I should set these afterwards, using xmlchange.

However, while I am able to set PTS_LAT and PTS_LON using xmlchange, attempting to set PTS_MODE gives "ERROR: No variable PTS_MODE found in case".

I attempted to proceed anyway, hoping that this setting maybe is just deprecated and setting PTS_LAT and PTS_LON suffices to indicate that PTS_MODE is required.

Despite also using `./xmlchange MPILIB=mpi-serial` as suggested here, I get runtime errors shown in the log file as "ERROR: single column mode must be run on 1 pe".

What am I doing wrong, and how should I get the model to run successfully in PTS_MODE (log file attached)?

Attachments

• cesm.log.413263.chadmin1.ib0.cheyenne.ucar.edu.230522-062537.zip
    27.4 KB · Views: 3

slevis

The error tells you to run on 1 pe, so I would give that a try. Looking at the output of "./create_newcase --help" I see that there is a --pecount option. I suggest trying that.

domwoolf

Dominic Woolf
Thanks @slevis. That seems to have cured the original "1 pe" error. However, I now get a different error

ERROR: ROF does not support single column

which makes a lot of sense that ROF cannot run at a point location. Can we turn off the ROF component to run at a single point?

slevis

When you run ./create_newcase, you select a compset. I am pretty sure that this is where you make the decision to run with or without ROF. I suggest looking into that. I don't know off the top of my head whether there is a switch elsewhere for turning off ROF.

erik

Erik Kluzek
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
There's an XML variable MOSART_MODE (when running with MOSART) that you can set to NULL to signal turning MOSART off.

If you create a case with "--grid CLM_USRDAT" it does some of this stuff for you, so it's good to use.