Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

saturation vapor pressure at leaf temperature (ei)

nick

Herold
Hi, can I please confirm that the saturation vapor pressure at leaf temperature (ei in the CLM5 technote - see section 9.6) is esat_tv in the CLM code? (e.g. when looking at the PhotoSynthesis module).
I thought this was the case until I saw how hs (relative humidity at leaf surface) is calculated in the code:
hs = (gb_mol(p)*ceair + gs_mol(p,iv)*esat_tv(p)) / ((gb_mol(p)+gs_mol(p,iv))*esat_tv(p))
Whereas in the CLM4.5 tech note hs = es/ei (section 8.1), so I'm wondering how these two denominators relate.

On the other hand I see in the CLM5 technote that D = (ei-ea)/1000 and here ei corresponds to esat_tv in the source code (with the addition of a minimum value for the numerator):
rh_can = max((esat_tv(p) - ceair), 50._r8) * 0.001_r8

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Yes, ei is saturation vapor pressure at leaf temperature. esat_tv is passed into Photosynthesis through the variable svpts in the call to Photosynthesis in CanopyFluxes. svpts in turn is equal to el, which is solved for in QSat.

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
I was just describing the names in the subroutine arguments, but yes esat_tv in the code is equal to ei in the Tech Note:
In CanopyFluxes:

call QSat (t_veg(p), forc_pbot(c), el(p), deldT, qsatl(p), qsatldT(p))

svpts(p) = el(p)

call Photosynthesis (bounds, fn, filterp, &
svpts(begp:endp),...............................

and then in Photosynthesis:

subroutine Photosynthesis ( bounds, fn, filterp, &
esat_tv,.........................