Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Slab Ocean Mode (SOM) underestimated wind speed

SelenaChou

SelenaChou
Dear all,

My research involves wind resource evaluation, so I have to simulate the wind speed as close to reality as possible.

The compset I use is 2000_CAM60_CLM50%SP_CICE_DOCN%SOM_MOSART_SGLC_SWAV_TEST, a all-active compset for long-term climate simulation. I choose the slab ocean mode to get some remote-sensing results. The resolution is T31_g37, for high-speed run. The level in cam is 26, for the lack of input file which has 32-level data. Besides, I decreased the momentum roughness length (z0mg) in deserts since the value of z0mg in soil equals 0.01 in the original model.

The case reached equilibrium after about 35-year run. After that, I did an average of wind speeds over roughly 20 years. However, compared with the long-term observed data, the underestimation is obvious, especially in land (see the attached file). By the way, I calculated the wind speed in 992 hPa by U and V.

Besides, the pattern of wind speed in h0 file (monthly output) and h2 file (hourly output) differs from each other, which confused me as well.

I wonder if any one has some experience in long-term wind speed simulation especially by using slab ocean mode. Any advice will be deeply appreciated.

Selena

SelenaChou

SelenaChou
This may be attributed to compset. Today I chose E1850CN and didn't modified any code. The first two years' wind speed looked normal.

SelenaChou

SelenaChou
Update:

I think the resolution T31_g37, in the SOM, is more adapted to cam4 and clm4, with more successful simulations.

With cam6 + clm5, with the resolution T31_g37, the bnd_top file is missing some parameters.

Before, I Interpolated a new bnd_top file based on a file with the resolution 0.95*1.25, but apparently, it led to an underestimation of wind speed.