Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Soil input files required by BIOME4

NiCosentino

Nicolas Cosentino
Hi!
I want to run preliminary CESM2 PI and LGM simulations to then use their climate/soil output to feed as input for BIOME4. The final objective is to feed PI- and LGM-equilibrated vegetation derived from BIOME4 to CLM5's dust emission scheme. BIOME4 requires gridded fields of 1) soil water holding capacity in two or more layers (mm/mm), and 2) soil saturated conductivity in two or more layers (mm/h). The problem I have is that I do not know how to obtain these fields as output from CESM. I've found the "HK" history field, but that is the soil hydraulic conductivity, not for soil water saturation conditions. Also, there's the "watfc" history field, which is the water field capacity (m3/m3), but I think this is not the same as soil water holding capacity (mm/mm).

Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

Nico