Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Total Solar Irridiance Modification in CAM5

jgvirgin@uwaterloo_ca

Jack Virgin
Hello,

I am trying to run a series of perturbed parameter experiments using CESM1.2.2 with a reduced solar constant. Using the B1850CN compset (with CAM4) I can modify the namelist parameter 'solar_const' in the user_nl_cam file with ease. However, when using the same compset with CAM5 (B1850C5CN), I am running into some problems. The atmosphere namelist for CAM5 with RRTMG for radiation doesn't have a solar_const variable, and when I try to include one and simultaneously remove reference to the solar_data_file I get this warning when running ./preview_namelist:

CAM build-namelist - WARNING: It is not allowed to set both solar_const and solar_data_file. solar_const will be ignored.

When I try to change the radiation model back to CAMRT, I get incompatibility errors with other model components. My question is, what's the best way to modify the TSI when running CESM1.2.2 with RRTMG? I presume the TSI is now calculated as opposed to specified, so does this mean I'd have to make a new solar spectral irradiance file with modified spectral irradiance values?

Any advice at all would be appreciated,

Jack

brianpm

Hi Jack,

When I have modified the TSI with CESM1 and CESM2, that is exactly how I've done it: I change the spectral irradiance file. There might be combination of runtime parameters that you could use to set a solar constant, but like your experience, I have not had luck doing that. If you are interested, I have a small python script that takes an input solar spectral file and a target TSI to produce a new file that can be used. The downside is that it isn't physical because it just scales the spectrum, so the output doesn't match the spectrum that you'd expect from a blackbody, but it seems to work ok.

jgvirgin@uwaterloo_ca

Jack Virgin
Hi Jack,

When I have modified the TSI with CESM1 and CESM2, that is exactly how I've done it: I change the spectral irradiance file. There might be combination of runtime parameters that you could use to set a solar constant, but like your experience, I have not had luck doing that. If you are interested, I have a small python script that takes an input solar spectral file and a target TSI to produce a new file that can be used. The downside is that it isn't physical because it just scales the spectrum, so the output doesn't match the spectrum that you'd expect from a blackbody, but it seems to work ok.
Hi Brian,

Okay, I'll do that. Thanks for the advice! The python script would also be much appreciated.

Jack