Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Using atmospheric forcing with masked area

MrIgnition

Dear all,
I intend to use my own atmospheric forcing (ERA5BC global) which has data only over land instead of GSWP and CruNCEP with clm5 over a domain that has both land and ocean. I have prepared the data and matched variable names in the stream.txt files to fit datm. But I percieve that CLM is reading data from the masked area which has values of 1.e+20 making model run to fail. I know certainly that the error is from my dataset (ERA5BC) but I have reasons to believe that its because of the masked values. What can I be advised to do in this regard.

Attached are images of LWdown for GSWP, ERA5BC (to show the masked area), netcdf summary to show value of missing data and clm log file showing cause of error.

Attachments

• GSWP.png
    GSWP.png
    444.9 KB · Views: 33
  • ERA5BC.png
    ERA5BC.png
    162.5 KB · Views: 28
  • LWDown_ERA5BC_fileheader.png
    LWDown_ERA5BC_fileheader.png
    85 KB · Views: 31
  • CLM_Error log.png
    CLM_Error log.png
    58.8 KB · Views: 33

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
I think the problem might be that the domain file you are using in your datm stream files is not consistent with your datm data. In particular, the "mask" variable in the domain file should only have 1s where there is valid datm data.

MrIgnition

Thank you so much for your response. I agree 100%. Since there is no domain file that came with the ERA5BC data I intend to use, what do you recommend I do please?

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
I would create a new one using the GSWP3v1 as a template for what fields are required, and ensure that "mask" matches the valid data on your forcing files.

MrIgnition

Thanks Oleson,
It now works. I did a couple of things.
1. remade my atm data domain file to resemble that of GSWP having my own masks.
2. changed mapalgo settings in user_nl_datm.
3. replaced missing data with nearest neighbour. cdo setmisstonn input output