Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Wetland methane emissions

James King

James King
Hi all,

We're using CLM5 (in CESM2.2.0) in both SP and BGC-CROP modes and we're interested in calculating the methane emissions from wetlands. Is there a way we can scale grid-cell surface CH4 flux to the atmosphere to give a wetland CH4 flux? We tried scaling by land fraction and wetland fraction but got a total of about 50Tg/yr which seems low (ballpark figure we've seen in the literature is ~150Tg/yr). Is there another scaling factor we are missing, or is our approach the wrong one?

Many thanks,

James

James King

James King
Hi Keith,

Yep, we saw that paper - we're just not sure how that figure was arrived at based on the output fields we have in CLM5.

Thanks,

James

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
I think the global estimate is arrived at by doing a global sum of FCH4 using grid cell area and land fraction?

James King

James King
We also scaled by FINUNDATED, interpreting this as wetland fraction. Is this step unneccesary?

Thanks,

James

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
My understanding is that the global estimate in Riley's paper represents emission from both inundated and non-inundated fractions plus lakes as well I think.
I'm not sure whether scaling by FINUNDATED is appropriate for estimating emissions from wetlands. I will ping a couple of people here who might know more about this. You could also contact Bill Riley.