Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

What should you worry about when cloning/branching to different CESM versions

marcinkupilas

Marcin Kupilas
Hi everyone

I'm a new user of CESM and this forum. I'm wondering if someone can help me understand what the most important things to consider are when trying to perform a branch run with different versions of CESM. If this is advised at all...

More details:

On the machine I'm working on (ARC4 at Leeds) there is data from simulations ran on 2.2.0. This version is not currently working on ARC4, but 2.1.3 and 2.3.beta08 are. The only thing I want to do is re-run an interval of the existing simulation, and add an extra output variable to a history file. Is there a workflow or troubleshooting guide that explains the most important considerations when doing something like this?

Cheers
Marcin

jedwards

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
As a general rule any run that was done with model version A.B.C can be extended or branched with any version A.B.D where D > C.
You can try extending the run using 2.1.3, it may or may not work. When you create the case - make sure that the long compset names
for the original and new case match. (From the case directory ./xmlquery COMPSET)

I may be able to help with getting 2.2.x working again on arc4 if you want to try that.