Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

xmlchange not working on ported CESM2.2.2

James King

James King
Hi all,

I have two functioning versions of CESM2 ported to the UK HPC ARCHER2 - CESM2.1.3 and CESM2.2.2. As of today, the xmlchange command has stopped working in 2.2.2, though it still works in 2.1.3: e.g.

2.1.3 example

./xmlquery STOP_N
Results in group run_begin_stop_restart
STOP_N: 1

./xmlchange STOP_N=10
STOP_N: 10

2.2.2 example
./xmlquery STOP_N
STOP_N: 3

./xmlchange STOP_N=10
STOP_N: 3

This is somewhat concerning (this all worked fine last week and I've not made any changes to the model version, nor am I aware of any significant changes to the module versions I load when I run CESM). Has this problem been encountered before and how should I go about fixing it?

Thanks,

James

James King

James King
I looked in the directory in CIME where these scripts are stored:

$CESM/cime/scripts/Tools

and found that in my CESM2.2.2 version the script for xmlchange was blank. I tried replacing it with the script that works in CESM2.1.3, but running this gets an error:

/usr/bin/env: ‘python\r’: No such file or directory
Running 'which python' returns the centrally installed 'cray-python' module
/opt/cray/pe/python/3.9.13.1/bin/python

as expected. I've attached the xmlquery script (which works) and the xmlchange script (which doesn't).

Thanks,

James

Attachments

• xmlchange.txt
    8.8 KB · Views: 0
  • xmlquery.txt
    16.1 KB · Views: 0

jedwards

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
In the cesm2.2.2 directory $CESM/cime/ can you run git status? If that file was missing it's probably because the download was interupted or the disk quota was exceeded.