Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

"Zostoga" gridded data product availability?

nilsleh

Nils
Hello, I am interested in CESM CMIP6 output of thermostreric sea level rise. The matching variable I found is "zostoga", however, it is only available as a globally spatially averaged data product. I am wondering where I could find a spatially gridded version of this variable? Thanks in advance.

klindsay

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
The paper
Griffies, S. M., et al.: OMIP contribution to CMIP6: experimental and diagnostic protocol for the physical component of the Ocean Model Intercomparison Project, Geosci. Model Dev., 9, 3231–3296, GMD - OMIP contribution to CMIP6: experimental and diagnostic protocol for the physical component of the Ocean Model Intercomparison Project, 2016.
documents physical ocean diagnostics requested from models participating in CMIP6. The variable `zostoga` appears to be the only requested diagnostics related to thermosteric sea level, so I don't think what you want will be available in the CMIP6 archive for any GCM.

For CESM2, `zostoga` was computed offline. I'm not familiar with the code that computed `zostoga`, or its background, so I don't know if it's possible, or makes sense, to get spatial variations from it.