Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

A general question about selecting the right compset to study permafrost

MS_CLM

I would like to (historical) model and (future) project responses of the Canadian permafrost thermal state to climate change on the coupled energy-water-carbon fluxes using the CLM model. For this purpose, which component set do you recommend to use?

I have compiled the CLM model (support level: Defined) with I2000Clm50Cn at ~50km grid resolution (f05_g17, lnd:0.47x0.63); this compset (which, includes land, land-ice, carbon model, river-runoff etc.,) seems to be a right choose for my research.

Any recommendations please?

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
I would recommend reading this paper that discusses improvements in CLM5BGC with regard to permafrost:

Lawrence, D.M. R.A. Fisher, C.D. Koven, K.W. Oleson, S.C. Swenson, G. Bonan, N. Collier, B. Ghimire, L. van Kampenhout, D. Kennedy, E. Kluzek, P.J. Lawrence, F. Li, H. Li, D. Lombardozzi, W.J. Riley, W.J. Sacks, M. Shi, M. Vertenstein, W.R. Wieder,, C. Xu, A.A. Ali, A.M. Badger, G. Bisht, M. van den Broeke, M.A. Brunke, S.P. Burns,, J. Buzan, M. Clark, A. Craig, K. Dahlin, B. Drewniak, J.B. Fisher, M. Flanner, A.M. Fox, P. Gentine, F.Hoffman, G. Keppel-Aleks, R., Knox, S. Kumar, J. Lenaerts, L.R. Leung, W.H. Lipscomb, Y. Lu, A., Pandey, J.D. Pelletier, J. Perket,, J.T. Randerson, D.M. Ricciuto, B.M. Sanderson, A. Slater, Z.M. Subin, J. Tang, R.Q. Thomas, M. Val Martin, and X. Zeng, 2019: The Community Land Model version 5: Description of new features, benchmarking, and impact of forcing uncertainty, JAMES, 11, doi:10.1029/2018MS001583.