Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Build Error for Arctic-Boreal CLM

V.Dutch.33

Victoria Dutch
Hi,

I'm running PTCLM at a site in the Arctic, and I would like to apply the changes outlined in Birch et al (2021), and see what impact this has on the things I'm interested in. The process I have followed so far is as follows;
1. Downloaded the zip file from Zendoto (lmbirch89/CTSM: Arctic Boreal CLM github link GitHub - lmbirch89/CTSM at v1.0.0-arctic-boreal-ctsm)
2. Compared the source code from the zip file to my current source code, and added the modules which have been changed to my SourceMods file
3. Attempted to build the case

When it gets to "Building lnd to ... /BUILD DIRECTORY", the case build fails on the ActiveLayerMod, with a series of "#error 7002: Error in opening the compiled module file", "error #6457: This derived type name has not been declared" , "error #6404: This name does not have a type, and must have an explict type" and "error #6580: Name in only-list does not exist" messages. I've attached the build log as a .txt file for more information. CESM version information (output of ./manage_externals/checkout_externals --status --verbose command) is also attached.

I've tried this with both a clone of my previous case, and with creating a new case from scratch, and I get the same result. What step have I missed in order to run the model with these adjustments?

Thanks!

Attachments

• lnd.bldlog.211014-104641.txt
    10.5 KB · Views: 2
  • CESMVersion.PNG
    CESMVersion.PNG
    72.3 KB · Views: 6

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
I downloaded the zip file and successfully built a case. So that at least works.
git describe gives:

ctsm1.0.dev084-308-gdd0cbecd

There may be incompatibilities in the externals or the code itself between this version and the version you are using.
The error you are getting doesn't ring any bells with me though. I guess I'd just keep looking for differences between the two versions.
Alternatively you may just want to run your case with the lmbirch version.

V.Dutch.33

Victoria Dutch
I downloaded the zip file and successfully built a case. So that at least works.
git describe gives:

ctsm1.0.dev084-308-gdd0cbecd

There may be incompatibilities in the externals or the code itself between this version and the version you are using.
The error you are getting doesn't ring any bells with me though. I guess I'd just keep looking for differences between the two versions.
Alternatively you may just want to run your case with the lmbirch version.
Thanks! Do you happen to know what compiler was used? I've spoken to someone else, and she thinks that might be part of the issue.

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
I've attached the software_environment.txt for the case I built.

Attachments

• software_environment.txt
    17.5 KB · Views: 4