Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

CAM-chem with coupled dynamic ocean in CESM2.1.3

engeir

Eirik Enger
I have previously been running the BWma1850 compset, where the point has been to run the CESM with my own volcanic forcing file (i.e. by creating a new VolcanEESM... in the stratvolc directory) such that the evolution of stratospheric aerosol from SO2 emissions are calculated by the model.

The above uses WACCM, but I now wanted to see how the CAM-chem performs in comparison. Looking at the defined compsets that uses CCTS (which I assume is what is needed to get the CAM-chem version), I could only find compsets that uses a prescribed ocean model.
I did also try constructing a new compset from defining a new fullname, but my attempts so far have all errored out. For example, by using the BWma1850 fullname but changing the atmosphere to CAM60%CCTS:
Code:
# From BWma1850:
1850_CAM60%WCCM_CLM50%BGC-CROP_CICE_POP2%ECO%NDEP_MOSART_CISM2%NOEVOLVE_WW3
# to
1850_CAM60%CCTS_CLM50%BGC-CROP_CICE_POP2%ECO%NDEP_MOSART_CISM2%NOEVOLVE_WW3

It would be much appreciated if someone could point me in the right direction as to how to run CESM2.1.3 with CAM-chem and a fully dynamic ocean.

tilmes

We have not developed a version of CAM-chem with a coupled ocean for CMIP6. The reason is that WACCM with full chemistry (TSMLT) includes the same chemistry as CAMchem, and has a higher model top. In order to save resources we only developed WACCM TSML for this purpose. Therefore the model to use if you would like to compare results with comprehensive tropospheric chemistry.