Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Can we use the datasets of cmip6 as the datm sources of the clm and mosart input data forcing?

Dong Peng

Dong Peng
Hello everyone,

I am going to run a sim_year range without the datm7 data support by an "I" compset, such as the years like 1850-1860. Can I use the cmip6 historical experiment data as the datm input for the specific case? For example, the datm forcing data usually contains precipitation, can i use the cmip6 precipitation data as the input of the specific case? Substantially, what should I do to match the cmip6 data as the data of the model requirement? The cmip6 uses PRC as the variable of precipitation ( Convective Precipitation with unit kg/m2/s), Does that match with the precipitation of GSWP? Or are there any sources for the updated data of GSWP or the others? Or do I need to run the compset with "B"?

slevis

Hello everyone,

I am going to run a sim_year range without the datm7 data support by an "I" compset, such as the years like 1850-1860. Can I use the cmip6 historical experiment data as the datm input for the specific case? For example, the datm forcing data usually contains precipitation, can i use the cmip6 precipitation data as the input of the specific case? Substantially, what should I do to match the cmip6 data as the data of the model requirement? The cmip6 uses PRC as the variable of precipitation ( Convective Precipitation with unit kg/m2/s), Does that match with the precipitation of GSWP? Or are there any sources for the updated data of GSWP or the others? Or do I need to run the compset with "B"?
To the first question ("Can I use..."), the answer is yes, as long as you format the same as the gswp3 data, so that the model can read the data. You will have to do some digging yourself to answer the remaining questions.

Dong Peng

Dong Peng
To the first question ("Can I use..."), the answer is yes, as long as you format the same as the gswp3 data, so that the model can read the data. You will have to do some digging yourself to answer the remaining questions.
Perhaps we need guidance. Can we talk to Oleson about this issue? I think he could have some better pieces of advice. I tried the setting of the stream list options, but I got some unknown bugs. The datm setting was too hard to track the bugs. See my last post. DATM setting for CLM compsets