Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

CESM2.0 output meteorological data from CMIP6

strandwg

Staff member
Thank you very much for your answer. I still have several questions that I want to know.

First, will the workshop you mentioned be held in mid-June this year? When will the large CESM2 Large Ensemble be released approximately after the workshop?

Second, is there only SSP3.7 in the CESM2 Large Ensemble? Are there any other SSPs scenarios, such as SSP2-4.5, SSP1-1.9, etc.

The CESM2-LE release is on 14 June, during the workshop.

SSP3.7 is the scenario used for all future runs in the CESM2-LE; I'll see how much usable data from the other SSPs are available.

Zhang_Yq

The CESM2-LE release is on 14 June, during the workshop.

SSP3.7 is the scenario used for all future runs in the CESM2-LE; I'll see how much usable data from the other SSPs are available.
Hi Gary,
Do you mean that the CESM-SSP3.7 data driving the WRF will be uploaded to the official website on 14 June, and other scenarios are not available at the moment?
Is it possible to request WRF input data from you earlier than 14 June?

Best wishes.
Yanqing

strandwg

Staff member
Hi Gary,
Do you mean that the CESM-SSP3.7 data driving the WRF will be uploaded to the official website on 14 June, and other scenarios are not available at the moment?
Is it possible to request WRF input data from you earlier than 14 June?

Best wishes.
Yanqing

The CESM2-LE data won't be available until 14 June. I'll work on the data from the other scenarios to make them available sooner if possible.

Zhang_Yq

Thank you very much for your reply! One more question, are the upcoming data the same as the "NCAR CESM Global Bias-Corrected CMIP5 Output to Support WRF/MPAS Research" ?(The website is:https://rda.ucar.edu/datasets/ds316.1/index.html#!description). Is it also bias-corrected? Thank you.

Zhang_Yq

The CESM2-LE data won't be available until 14 June. I'll work on the data from the other scenarios to make them available sooner if possible.
Hi Gary,
Thank you very much for your reply!
One more question, are the upcoming data the same as the "NCAR CESM Global Bias-Corrected CMIP5 Output to Support WRF/MPAS Research" ?(The website is:https://rda.ucar.edu/datasets/ds316.1/index.html#!description).
Is it also bias-corrected? Thank you.

strandwg

Staff member
Hi Gary,
Thank you very much for your reply!
One more question, are the upcoming data the same as the "NCAR CESM Global Bias-Corrected CMIP5 Output to Support WRF/MPAS Research" ?(The website is:https://rda.ucar.edu/datasets/ds316.1/index.html#!description).
Is it also bias-corrected? Thank you.

I will work with the folks that provided the bias-corrected data and see if they have the time and resources to do the same for these data.

Ifeanyi

Ifeanyi Achugbu
I will work with the folks that provided the bias-corrected data and see if they have the time and resources to do the same for these data.
Hi,

Has the bias-corrected CESM2 output meteorological data from CMIP6 been achieved and made available?

Regards.

yfang

Yilin Fang
I was discussing this with strandwg and we realized that you are likely referring to the coupler history output that is sometimes used to force CLM through the datm's CPLHIST mode. If so, it does look like some of this data was saved for at least one of the SSP simulations on our campaign store.
Do you have access to our supercomputer and our data storage system?
If not, we'll have to serve the data a different way. Might take a week or so because we are both mostly out of the office for the next week. And I personally am not familiar with the data server we'd have to use.
@oleson @strandwg Hi, I'm interested in the coupler history output for CESM2_ssp245_r11i1p1f1 and CESM2_ssp585_r11i1p1f1 files from year 2015 to 2030. How can I download the files? Thanks!

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
I've put the coupler history data on a Globus endpoint on NCAR's data sharing service.
There are data for one ensemble member of each SSP.
I believe the data is in daily files which need to be concatenated to the monthly files that CPLHST mode requires, after you've downloaded the data and untarred the files.
I've put a script there that will do that (concat_cpl_hist_mon.csh). There is an example of how to run that script (concat.command).

You will need to establish a Globus account. See the section "Retrieving data from a shared endpoint" on this page:

You'll need to email me at oleson at ucar dot edu to get the link to the endpoint.

yfang

Yilin Fang
I've put the coupler history data on a Globus endpoint on NCAR's data sharing service.
I believe the data is in daily files which need to be concatenated to the monthly files that CPLHST mode requires, after you've downloaded the data and untarred the files.
I've put a script there that will do that (concat_cpl_hist_mon.csh). There is an example of how to run that script (concat.command).

You will need to establish a Globus account. See the section "Retrieving data from a shared endpoint" on this page:

You'll need to email me at oleson at ucar dot edu to get the link to the endpoint.
Thank you!

strandwg

Staff member

Thanks, Keith.

Sherry Hou

Houxw
Hi,
Sorry for any confusion.
If your goal is to force CLM in CPLHIST mode using data from the four SSPs, then the coupler history data we've placed on Globus are sufficient to do so.
CPLHIST mode requires a complete set of data in a specific format as represented by the data we've provided.

hourly downward solar radiation and wind speed is available from the *ha2x1hi* files:
a2x1hi_Faxa_swndr (incident NIR direct solar)
a2x1hi_Faxa_swvdr (incident VIS direct solar)
a2x1hi_Faxa_swndf (incident NIR diffuse solar)
a2x1hi_Faxa_swvdf (incident VIS diffuse solar)

3-hourly precipitation, longwave radiation, forcing height, air temperature, potential temperature, specific humidity, pressure, density, sea level pressure, and co2 from the *ha2x3h* files:
a2x3h_Faxa_rainc (convective rainfall)
a2x3h_Faxa_rainl (large-scale rainfall)
a2x3h_Faxa_snowc (convective snowfall)
a2x3h_Faxa_snowl (large-scale snowfall)
a2x3h_Faxa_lwdn (incident longwave radiation)
a2x3h_Sa_z (forcing height)
a2x3h_Sa_tbot (temperature)
a2x3h_Sa_ptem (potential temperature)
a2x3h_Sa_shum (specific humidity)
a2x3h_Sa_pbot (pressure)
a2x3h_Sa_dens (density)
a2x3h_Sa_pslv (sea level pressure)
a2x3h_Sa_co2diag (diagnostic co2)
a2x3h_Sa_co2prog (prognostic co2)

hourly wind speed from the *ha2x1h* files:
a2x1h_Sa_u (zonal wind speed)
a2x1h_Sa_v (meridional wind speed)
Hi, Oleson,
If I want to use the historical meteorology output of ssp126 to drive the FSDCHM in CESM1.2.2 from 2015 to 2060, is there any data I can get from CMIP6 website or other website, please?

Sherry

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
I don't see that compset in release-cesm2.1.3, but the "F" usually means that it is one with an active atmospheric model, so I'm not sure why meteorological output is needed.

Sherry Hou

Houxw
I don't see that compset in release-cesm2.1.3, but the "F" usually means that it is one with an active atmospheric model, so I'm not sure why meteorological output is needed.
Dear Keith,
Thank you for your reply!
When I run FSDCHM, it is unsuccessful with the errror as following attachment. But other compsets is succeed, such as FMOZ. Do you know the reason? or could you give me some suggestions?

Attachments

• 5X@%${NV6$0G1AZFI[L7YN1.png
    5X@%${NV6$0G1AZFI[L7YN1.png
    20.2 KB · Views: 3

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
I don't know the reason, sorry. I suggest making a new post on the CESM general forum and include the information requested here: