Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

change CO2 concentration with F2000climo compset

fahadabdullaah

Abdullah Al Fahad
Hello,

I am running CESM 2.00 in Cheyenne. I ran a couple of prescribed SST runs with F2000climo. Now I want to change the CO2 concentration with F2000climo compset. I added co2vmr values in the user_nl_cam. However, the model doesn't take the value, and I don't see any changes in the atm_in, log, or in the output. I have also used ./xmlchange CCSM_CO2_PPMV=1138.8, which didn't solve the problem as well. However, if I change the compset to B1850, the model adds the CO2 value from the user_nl_cam.

My question is, how do I change CO2 concentration with the F2000climo compset?

Thanks,
Fahad

eaton

CSEG and Liaisons
The F2000climo compset is using the use case file in cam/bld/namelist_files/use_cases/2000_cam6.xml. This file contains the settings that determine the GHGs, in this case

<flbc_file> 'atm/waccm/lb/LBC_2000climo_CMIP6_0p5degLat_c180227.nc' </flbc_file>
<flbc_list> 'CO2','CH4','N2O','CFC11eq','CFC12' </flbc_list>
<flbc_type> 'CYCLICAL' </flbc_type>
<flbc_cycle_yr> 2000 </flbc_cycle_yr>

These settings can be overridden in user_nl_cam, but to replace the flbc setting with a constant value like you get from setting co2vmr you'd need to remove the flbc settings (i.e., co2vmr doesn't override the flbc specification).

fahadabdullaah

Abdullah Al Fahad
The F2000climo compset is using the use case file in cam/bld/namelist_files/use_cases/2000_cam6.xml. This file contains the settings that determine the GHGs, in this case

<flbc_file> 'atm/waccm/lb/LBC_2000climo_CMIP6_0p5degLat_c180227.nc' </flbc_file>
<flbc_list> 'CO2','CH4','N2O','CFC11eq','CFC12' </flbc_list>
<flbc_type> 'CYCLICAL' </flbc_type>
<flbc_cycle_yr> 2000 </flbc_cycle_yr>

These settings can be overridden in user_nl_cam, but to replace the flbc setting with a constant value like you get from setting co2vmr you'd need to remove the flbc settings (i.e., co2vmr doesn't override the flbc specification).
Thank you!

Hello,

I am running CESM 2.00 in Cheyenne. I ran a couple of prescribed SST runs with F2000climo. Now I want to change the CO2 concentration with F2000climo compset. I added co2vmr values in the user_nl_cam. However, the model doesn't take the value, and I don't see any changes in the atm_in, log, or in the output. I have also used ./xmlchange CCSM_CO2_PPMV=1138.8, which didn't solve the problem as well. However, if I change the compset to B1850, the model adds the CO2 value from the user_nl_cam.

My question is, how do I change CO2 concentration with the F2000climo compset?

Thanks,
Fahad

Hi! I was wondering if setting the CO2 concentration can be done via ncdata as well? If I have specific an initial CO2 mixing ratio via ncdata, would that override/conflict with the specifications of the LBC file? Thanks for the help in advance!

eaton

CSEG and Liaisons
ncdata is used to set initial conditions for prognostic variables, so would only impact a prognostic version of CO2 (e.g. in a WACCM compset). In the F2000 compset the CO2 which is radiatively active is a prescribed variable.

eaton

CSEG and Liaisons
The co2vmr namelist variable is only used to specify a constant value of CO2. The LBC files can be used with prescribed CO2 values in which case the values at the surface (the Lower Boundary Condition) are constant throughout the vertical column. The LBC files are also used with prognostic CO2 to specify the lower boundary values.