Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Changing Q10 in user_nl_clm

V.Dutch.33

Victoria Dutch
Hi,

I'm running PTCLM with the 2000_DATM%1PT_CLM50%BGC_SICE_SOCN_MOSART_SGLC_SWAV compset, and I want to change the Q10 value for frozen and unfrozen soils. I can change the q10 for frozen soil by adding froz_q10=newvalue to the end of my user_nl_clm file, but when I add Q10=newvalue (to change the q10 of unfrozen soil) I get the following error when I build the case:

Error: in _validate_pair (package Build::NamelistDefinition): Variable name q10 not found in the .../clm/bld/namelist_files/namelist_definition_drv.xml, ..../namelist_definition_drv_flds.xml, .../namelist_definition_clm4_5.xml

And true enough, it's not in any of those 3 files. Can I just add it to the /namelist_definition_clm4_5.xml file where froz_q10 is mentioned?

I've checked the CNSharedParamsMod.F90 file, and the syntax for froz_q10 and Q10 is again the same. I've also checked the SoilBiogeochemDecompCascadeBGCMod.F90 file, which I think is the first time my new Q10 should be used, and my syntax matches the source code variable.

I then looked at the online list of namelist options, and Q10 is not there (just froz_q10). Why? Where do I need to change the source code to add a new value for Q10 to the namelist?

Please advise.

Thanks!

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Q10 is on the parameter file. It has the name q10_mr. See biogeochem/CNSharedParamsMod.F90

tString='q10_mr'
call ncd_io(varname=trim(tString),data=tempr, flag='read', ncid=ncid, readvar=readv)
if ( .not. readv ) call endrun(msg=trim(errCode)//trim(tString)//errMsg(sourcefile, __LINE__))
CNParamsShareInst%Q10=tempr

I see that froz_q10 is also on the parameter file, as well as being defined in namelist_definition_clm4_5.xml, but I don't see any evidence of the namelist version being used. So I would expect that setting a different value for froz_q10 in user_nl_clm wouldn't have any effect on the simulation. Does it change answers for your simulation? If not, I'll file an issue to have it removed from the namelist.