Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

ERROR: remap transport: bad departure points

Hello Dears,I have just got the same error in ice model. I was aware how to solve it, but i would like to wake this topic up. The main reason is that when the error appeared in my simulation, I have not seen any possibility for having ice in this simulation (surface temperature is bigger then 4 Celsius degrees). But i got this error from ice model.I work with my own configuration - it is not typical provided by developers. It is based on G or H compset, thus i have only ice and ocean components active. Other models provide only data (prepared ouside of the model). I did a lot of modifications for having working the cesm as high resolution model for coastal areas. The horizontal resolution is ~100 meters, vertical smallest levels have 30 cm thickness. I will be very happy that somebody will take a look here and try to help/eplain me what happen.With best regards,Jaromir

Hello Dears,I have just got the same error in ice model. I was aware how to solve it, but i would like to wake this topic up. The main reason is that when the error appeared in my simulation, I have not seen any possibility for having ice in this simulation (surface temperature is bigger then 4 Celsius degrees). But i got this error from ice model.I work with my own configuration - it is not typical provided by developers. It is based on G or H compset, thus i have only ice and ocean components active. Other models provide only data (prepared ouside of the model). I did a lot of modifications for having working the cesm as high resolution model for coastal areas. The horizontal resolution is ~100 meters, vertical smallest levels have 30 cm thickness. I will be very happy that somebody will take a look here and try to help/eplain me what happen.With best regards,Jaromir

dbailey

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
This is essentially a CFL violation in the CICE model. You would need to reduce the timestep. In the CESM, the CICE timestep is tied to the coupling interval with the atmosphere. Have a look at ATM_NCPL and ICE_NCPL. Try doubling ATM_NCPL and this should help. For high resolution (0.1-degree) you can use xndt_dyn or ndtd depending on the version of the code. This allows you to take multiple dynamic timesteps per thermodynamic timestep.Dave

dbailey

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
This is essentially a CFL violation in the CICE model. You would need to reduce the timestep. In the CESM, the CICE timestep is tied to the coupling interval with the atmosphere. Have a look at ATM_NCPL and ICE_NCPL. Try doubling ATM_NCPL and this should help. For high resolution (0.1-degree) you can use xndt_dyn or ndtd depending on the version of the code. This allows you to take multiple dynamic timesteps per thermodynamic timestep.Dave

dbailey

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member

dbailey

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member

dbailey

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member

dbailey

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member

dbailey

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member