Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Generate surfdata with future urban and vegetation rawdata

KeerZ

Hi, I prepared a 2020 urban raw data with 0.05 deg resolution and I would like to generate a 2020 surface data based on SSP5RCP8.5.

Here are the steps I took in mksurfdata_map tool:

Generate namelist: ./mksurfdata.pl -res 0.9x1.25 -no-crop -years 2010 -debug --ssp_rcp "SSP5-8.5"

In the namelist file I generated, I replaced the filepath of mksrf_furban using the filepath of my 2020 urban raw data. And I also modified the name of fsurdat and fsurlog.

Then, in order to use 2020 vegetation and crop landcover, I guess the filepath for mksrf_fhrvtyp and mksrf_fvegtyp should be "/glade/p/cesm/cseg/inputdata/lnd/clm2/rawdata/pftcftdynharv.0.25x0.25.SSP5-8.5.simyr2016-2100.c171005/mksrf_landuse_SSP5RCP85_clm5_2020.c171005.nc" ?

I am not sure whether these steps are correct. Are there other modifications that should be done if I'd like to generate a surface data with future urban and vegetation landcover?

Thank you!

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
I would think you could specify 2020 directly instead of 2010, but as you probably found out, you can't.
I think your steps are correct. I don't think there are any other modifications you need to make.
I generated a 2020 dataset using your approach and compared PCT_NAT_PFT to that in a transient dataset we use for CESM2 for a couple of gridcells and they were the same for that year.
I expect that the landunit composition will change when you use your new mksrf_urban, but you probably anticipate that.