Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

How to get model compset and input data used by CESM experiment submitted to the GCB2021 report?

wangqr

Dear all,
I found that CLM was one of the participants submitting simulation results for the Global Carbon Budget 2021 (GCB2021) report. Now, I want to do some experiments (e.g., Modify some input data and re-run the model to find out the impacts of changing these inputs) based on the existing experiments in GCB2021. However, I can't find what compset and configuration CLM used to perform the experiment in GCB2021, and what input data it used. Does anyone know how and where to get this information? Thanks.

Qingrui Wang

djk2120

Daniel Kennedy
Hi Qingrui,
All of my scripts to run the TRENDY simulations for GCB-2021 are on github: GitHub - djk2120/ctsm_trendy_2022

The simulations are still on /glade:
/glade/u/home/djk2120/ctsm_trendy_2022/sims

But note that there are several steps involved to run the full simulation, swapping forcings in and out. These steps are encoded in the github scripts.

The forcing data are also still on /glade:
/glade/campaign/asp/djk2120/TRENDY2022/forcing

djk2120

Daniel Kennedy
More specifically:
the compset varies based on scenario, but for the S3 scenario
compset='HIST_DATM%CRUv7_CLM50%BGC-CROP_SICE_SOCN_MOSART_CISM2%NOEVOLVE_SWAV'

We used 1degree resolution for all simulations:
res='f09_g17'

GCB-2021 used the following CLM tag:
branch_tags/TRENDY-2019.n05_ctsm1.0.dev056

The forcing data are also available directly from the GCB ftp site:
you would email Stephen Sitch for access:
S.A.Sitch@exeter.ac.uk

wangqr

Hi Qingrui,
All of my scripts to run the TRENDY simulations for GCB-2021 are on github: GitHub - djk2120/ctsm_trendy_2022

But note that there are several steps involved to run the full simulation, swapping forcings in and out. These steps are encoded in the github scripts.

Dear Professor Kennedy,

Thank you very much for your reply. It is really helpful to me. I will try to reproduce the experiment based on your instruction.

Best regards,

Qingrui

wangqr

Hi Qingrui,

Dear Professor Kennedy,

I have another question. Does the path "/glade/u/home/djk2120/ctsm_trendy_2022/sims" you mentioned exist in the HPC of NCAR? How can I connect to the HPC and get access to the data? Should I register an account or something else?

Best regards,

Qingrui