Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

how to get plant type distribution from CESM2.0.1 output

Mingjun

Mingjun
Hello, everyone!

My compset is 1850_CAM60_CLM50%FATES_CICE_POP2%ECO_MOSART_CISM2%EVOLVE_WW3_BGC%BDRD conducted by CESM2, and all other settings are default. I want to analyze pattern changes in vegetation types, but I couldn't find related variables in the CLM output files. Does the default output not include this information? If so, which variable should I add to 'user_nl_clm' to capture vegetation types?

p.s. According to my current understanding, I think I should add the following sentences in user_nl_clm:

hist_fincl2 = 'PCT_NAT_PFT'

I am not sure if it is right. Any suggestion would be helpful to me. Thanks for your time!

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Since this is an 1850 simulation, CLM plant functional types won't be changing, they only change in a transient simulation as prescribed by datasets. But you can look at PCT_NAT_PFT to get the percentages of plant functional types on the natural vegetation landunit.

Mingjun

Mingjun
Since this is an 1850 simulation, CLM plant functional types won't be changing, they only change in a transient simulation as prescribed by datasets. But you can look at PCT_NAT_PFT to get the percentages of plant functional types on the natural vegetation landunit.
Thanks for your reply. I turned 'FATES' on in my compset. Do you mean the plant functional types will not change even in this situation?

slevis

FATES can simulate the growth and death of plants, but it does not change so called plant biogeography, which is the distribution of pfts prescribed from the fsurdat file or - in transient simulations - the landuse.timeseries file.

Mingjun

Mingjun
FATES can simulate the growth and death of plants, but it does not change so called plant biogeography, which is the distribution of pfts prescribed from the fsurdat file or - in transient simulations - the landuse.timeseries file.
Thanks for your reply. I've altered the topography in CAM and would like to assess how the dominant vegetation type responds to the uplift of mountains. Previous studies have explored this concept (please refer to the attached figure, Jung et al. 2015.).
I am uncertain whether the current compset allows me to achieve this (1850_CAM60_CLM50%FATES_CICE_POP2%ECO_MOSART_CISM2%EVOLVE_WW3_BGC%BDRD).
If the adjustment of the plant functional type (PFT) is not possible even with FATES turned on, could you suggest a suitable compset for this purpose?

Attachments

• Jung et al..jpg
    Jung et al..jpg
    353.8 KB · Views: 5

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
The paper you cited utilized CCSM3, including the CLM3-DGVM model. At that time, the DGVM was supported, however, it is no longer supported in current versions of the model and there are not compsets available with DGVM active.