Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

How to simluate the amount of liquid water in the cloud that evaporates to water vapor?

XinhaoSuo

Xinhao Suo
Hi,

When I use the iCESM1.2, I want to know is it possible to get reevaporation data? (The amount of liquid water in the cloud evaporating or ice sublimating into gaseous water) . Can I simulate it?

And, if I want to simulate water vapor markers in future scenarios and use F-CASE, what do I need to do? (Replace the SST data and emissions data? )

Looking forward to your reply!

Xinhao

nusbaume

Jesse Nusbaumer
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Hi Xinhao,

You should be able to get cloud evaporation/sublimation by using the "CME" and "CMELIQ" output variables, where "CME" is the total condenstation-evaporation rate, and "CMELIQ" is condensation-evaporation rate for liquid only. Thus the difference between the two should be the rates for ice. You can also use "EVAPPREC" for the evaporation flux from falling precip (both rain and snow), and "EVAPSNOW" for the sublimation of falling snow only.

Also, I can't remember if those variables are output by default, but you can make sure they are in the output files by adding the following to your user_nl_cam file:

Code:
fincl1 = 'CME', 'CMELIQ', 'EVAPPREC', 'EVAPSNOW'

Finally, if you want to look up other cloud microphysics-related variables, you can find most of them in this source file:
<iCESM1.2>/models/atm/cam/src/physics/cam/micro_mg_cam.F90

where <iCESM1.2> is wherever you downloaded the model. In that source file you can search for the word addfld, where each call represents a different history variable you can output if need be.

Anyways, I hope that helps, and have a great day!

Jesse

XinhaoSuo

Xinhao Suo
Hi Jesse,

I am really appreciate your help! Your advice is very helpful to me.

Wish you have a nice day!

Best regards!

Xinhao