Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Looking for CAM history fields like clean sky downwelling solar flux at surface and TOA.

suvo_1995

Sushovan Ghosh
Hello scientists,
I am looking for cam history fields like clean sky downwelling solar flux at surface and TOA. The word "Clean" refers to all-sky flux without the aerosols effect or simply No aerosol sky solar flux. All-sky flux @ surface refers to Downwelling solar flux at surface (FSDS).
Is there any possibility to get the total solar flux in the component-wise like direct and diffuse parts?

Thanks in advance.

brianpm

The clean sky flux can be diagnosed by including an additional diagnostic call to the radiation scheme. This is controlled via namelist parameters called 'rad_diag_[N]' where N is an integer [1, 10]. See CESM2 CAM6.3 Namelist Definitions.

If you are looking for just output and not doing new simulations, you might check out the RFMIP simulations, they might have these fluxes included. I can't remember for certain.

The total solar flux is basically provided by the variable SOLIN. If you need to look at it by frequency, I think you need to check out the file that it comes from , which you could find in the namelist with the name solar_irrad_data_file. Beyond that, you could write out band-wise fluxes, but I don't think that's what you are looking for.

Hope that helps.

suvo_1995

Sushovan Ghosh
The clean sky flux can be diagnosed by including an additional diagnostic call to the radiation scheme. This is controlled via namelist parameters called 'rad_diag_[N]' where N is an integer [1, 10]. See CESM2 CAM6.3 Namelist Definitions.

If you are looking for just output and not doing new simulations, you might check out the RFMIP simulations, they might have these fluxes included. I can't remember for certain.

The total solar flux is basically provided by the variable SOLIN. If you need to look at it by frequency, I think you need to check out the file that it comes from , which you could find in the namelist with the name solar_irrad_data_file. Beyond that, you could write out band-wise fluxes, but I don't think that's what you are looking for.

Hope that helps.

Hello Brianpm,
Thanks for the help regarding the clean sky flux.
you are correct that the total radiation is SOLIN. But I am looking for direct and diffuse part of the total radiation/clear sky and clean sky radiation.
It will be great if you have any suggestions on that.
Thanks in advance!

Wenyu Liu

Wenyu Liu
Hello Brianpm,
Thanks for the help regarding the clean sky flux.
you are correct that the total radiation is SOLIN. But I am looking for direct and diffuse part of the total radiation/clear sky and clean sky radiation.
It will be great if you have any suggestions on that.
Thanks in advance!
Hello suvo,
I am looking for information about how to output cleansky calculations of radiation in CESM2.1.3 and I saw your post. Have you found the solutions? I will be appreciate it if you read this reply and could share your methods.
Thanks!

brianpm

@Sushovan Ghosh -- It's a year late to reply (Sorry!) -- I assume you found this, but yes, the direct and diffuse parts of the radiation can be had in CESM2. They are not typically written out, but the surface direct/diffuse fluxes are sent to the surface models. It looks like there are variables ready to use for those surface fluxes:
Code:
         call addfld('SOLL'//diag(icall),     horiz_only,   'A', 'W/m2', 'Solar downward near infrared direct  to surface', &
                                                                                 sampling_seq='rad_lwsw')
         call addfld('SOLS'//diag(icall),     horiz_only,   'A', 'W/m2', 'Solar downward visible direct  to surface',       &
                                                                                 sampling_seq='rad_lwsw')
         call addfld('SOLLD'//diag(icall),    horiz_only,   'A', 'W/m2', 'Solar downward near infrared diffuse to surface', &
                                                                                 sampling_seq='rad_lwsw')
         call addfld('SOLSD'//diag(icall),    horiz_only,   'A', 'W/m2', 'Solar downward visible diffuse to surface',       &
                                                                                 sampling_seq='rad_lwsw')

@Wenyu Liu -- "cleansky" fluxes can be obtained by running and additional radiation calculation. To do this, one needs to use the "rad_diag_1" parameter in the user_nl_cam namelist. Here's an example, which I think provides the correct cleansky calculation for standard CAM6:
Code:
rad_diag_1 = 'A:Q:H2O', 'N:O2:O2', 'N:CO2:CO2', 'N:ozone:O3', 'N:N2O:N2O', 'N:CH4:CH4', 'N:CFC11:CFC11', 'N:CFC12:CFC12'

IN ADDITION: you need to specify the outputs you want from the diagnostic radiation calculation. I think all the usual radiation quantities are available, and you just add "_d1" to their names. Here's an example (diagnostic radiaion in bold):

Code:
FINCL1 = 'QRSC', 'QRLC', 'BURDEN1', 'BURDEN2', 'BURDEN3', 'BURDEN4', 'BURDENBC','BURDENPOM','BURDENSEASALT','BURDENSO4','BURDENSOA','QRS_d1','QRL_d1','QRSC_d1','QRL_d1','FSNT_d1','FSNTC_d1','FSNTOA_d1','FSNTOAC_d1','SWCF_d1','LWCF_d1','FSUTOA_d1','FSNS_d1','FSDS_d1','FSDSC_d1','FSNSC_d1','FLNT_d1','FLNTC_d1','FLUT_d1','FLUTC_d1','FLNS_d1','FLNSC_d1','FLDS_d1'

Wenyu Liu

Wenyu Liu
@Sushovan Ghosh -- It's a year late to reply (Sorry!) -- I assume you found this, but yes, the direct and diffuse parts of the radiation can be had in CESM2. They are not typically written out, but the surface direct/diffuse fluxes are sent to the surface models. It looks like there are variables ready to use for those surface fluxes:
Code:
         call addfld('SOLL'//diag(icall),     horiz_only,   'A', 'W/m2', 'Solar downward near infrared direct  to surface', &
                                                                                 sampling_seq='rad_lwsw')
         call addfld('SOLS'//diag(icall),     horiz_only,   'A', 'W/m2', 'Solar downward visible direct  to surface',       &
                                                                                 sampling_seq='rad_lwsw')
         call addfld('SOLLD'//diag(icall),    horiz_only,   'A', 'W/m2', 'Solar downward near infrared diffuse to surface', &
                                                                                 sampling_seq='rad_lwsw')
         call addfld('SOLSD'//diag(icall),    horiz_only,   'A', 'W/m2', 'Solar downward visible diffuse to surface',       &
                                                                                 sampling_seq='rad_lwsw')

@Wenyu Liu -- "cleansky" fluxes can be obtained by running and additional radiation calculation. To do this, one needs to use the "rad_diag_1" parameter in the user_nl_cam namelist. Here's an example, which I think provides the correct cleansky calculation for standard CAM6:
Code:
rad_diag_1 = 'A:Q:H2O', 'N:O2:O2', 'N:CO2:CO2', 'N:ozone:O3', 'N:N2O:N2O', 'N:CH4:CH4', 'N:CFC11:CFC11', 'N:CFC12:CFC12'

IN ADDITION: you need to specify the outputs you want from the diagnostic radiation calculation. I think all the usual radiation quantities are available, and you just add "_d1" to their names. Here's an example (diagnostic radiaion in bold):

Code:
FINCL1 = 'QRSC', 'QRLC', 'BURDEN1', 'BURDEN2', 'BURDEN3', 'BURDEN4', 'BURDENBC','BURDENPOM','BURDENSEASALT','BURDENSO4','BURDENSOA','QRS_d1','QRL_d1','QRSC_d1','QRL_d1','FSNT_d1','FSNTC_d1','FSNTOA_d1','FSNTOAC_d1','SWCF_d1','LWCF_d1','FSUTOA_d1','FSNS_d1','FSDS_d1','FSDSC_d1','FSNSC_d1','FLNT_d1','FLNTC_d1','FLUT_d1','FLUTC_d1','FLNS_d1','FLNSC_d1','FLDS_d1'
Thanks a lot for your help! I will have a try!