Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

SCAM with Nudging

Running SCAM for IOP cases in CAM5 successfully with the option "-dyn eul".
Can we include nudging for SCAM IOP apart from the forcing with "iopfile".
For this included the below and tried different options "-dyn fv -offline_dyn" and not successful.
&metdata_nl
met_data_file = '2011/GEOS5.1_19x2_20110101.nc'
met_data_path = 'xxxxx/cesm/inputdata/atm/cam/met/GEOS5' ; This is the location of the GEOS5 files
met_filenames_list = 'xxxxx/cesm/inputdata/atm/cam/met/GEOS5/filenames_list.txt' ; create a filename_list.txt file that points to the GEOS5 data
met_max_rlx = 0.10 ; nudging factor

Is it possible to have nudging in CAM5 or CAM6 for SCAM IOP cases.

PHAN

brianpm

I'm not entirely sure I understand what you are wanting to do. What quantities would you want to nudge? The IOP files provide a strong constraint by specifying the winds. You can optionally specify to use other quantities. For example by setting `scm_use_obs_qv` to use the specified water vapor or `scm_use_obs_T` to use the specified temperature. See the list of namelist options available in CAMROOT/src/control/scamMod.F90.

There is an additional option within SCAM to apply a relaxation timescale to a layer, and it can use either a specified time or a linear relaxation time. You can take a look at this in CAMROOT/src/dynamics/eul/scmforecast.F90 and look for the area that is conditioned on `scm_relaxation`. That allows for relaxation of T, Q, U, V.

Between specifying what to use from the IOP file and the additional relaxation options, I suspect you can achieve the result you are looking for.

At this time, SCAM requires the "-dyn eul" option as far as I know. I think this is because it relies on that dynamical core for vertical advection methods.