Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Setting up a machine using PBS with no queues

Seb Eastham

Seb Eastham
Dear CESM community,

I am currently setting up CESM2.2.2 for a new machine (Imperial College HPC). The cluster uses pbs, but the job queue is not specified at submit time. Instead, the queue is chosen based on the job's requirements (and specific queue selection by users appears to be discouraged). I have managed to get by thus far with no more than the usual light-touch setting in ~/.cime/config_*.xml (where * in this case is compilers, machines, and batch). However, I have found that I am unable to submit jobs because a queue is always specified. Is there a straightforward way to indicate in ~/.cime/config_batch.xml that the -j $JOB_QUEUE directive, default to the pbs batch system described in the central cime batch configuration, should be skipped for this machine? The alternative is to simply delete the relevant line (<arg flag="-q" name="$JOB_QUEUE"/>) in env_batch.xml every time I create a new test case but if there's a cleaner way of running that would be preferable. Thank you!

Regards,

Seb

jedwards

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
You can remove it from the default PBS section in cime/config/cesm/machines/config_batch.xml at around line 138.

Seb Eastham

Seb Eastham
Thanks @jedwards ! I had thought of that, but was hoping to be able to provide a machine configuration which could eventually be integrated into the main branch. Am I right in thinking then that there's no straightforward way of doing this purely through the machine's description without editing the master config_batch file?