Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Setting volcanic emissions to work in a future run

James King

James King
Hi all,

I am running CESM2 in a CAM-chem configuration for the year 2050. I have set all surface emissions, lateral boundary conditions, and external forcing specifiers to 2050. However, I am having a problem setting the continuous volcanic emissions. I am aware that these are time averages of historical emissions and as such future emissions files are not available (unless someone at NCAR has worked out how to predict volcanic activity). I have edited the files so that they are for a single year which is set to 2050. The files contain the same variables as the defaults from the FC2010 compset. However, the model crashes with an error relating to these files.

In the cesm.log:

1: Opened existing file
1: /glade/work/jamesking/analysis/volcano_input/volc_SO2_2050_ncap2.nc 92
1: Opened existing file
1: /glade/work/jamesking/analysis/volcano_input/volc_SO2_2050_ncap2.nc 92
145: pio_support::pio_die:: myrank= -1 : ERROR: nf_mod.F90: 730 :
145: NetCDF: Variable not found

The atm.log ends at:

trcdata_init: data type: CYCLICAL file: /glade/work/jamesking/analysis/volcano_
input/volc_SO2_2050_ncap2.nc
(GETFIL): attempting to find local file volc_SO2_2050_ncap2.nc
(GETFIL): using
/glade/work/jamesking/analysis/volcano_input/volc_SO2_2050_ncap2.nc
open_trc_datafile:
/glade/work/jamesking/analysis/volcano_input/volc_SO2_2050_ncap2.nc
trcdata_init: file%has_ps = T

I have attached the full logs along with my model version details and the output of cdo sinfon on the troublesome input file '/glade/work/jamesking/analysis/volcano_input/volc_SO2_2050_ncap2.nc'. What is causing the error? And is there a better method for dealing with volcanic emissions with future runs?

Many thanks,

James

Attachments

• version_info.txt
    6.2 KB · Views: 5
  • volc_input.txt
    1.2 KB · Views: 8
  • cesm.log.2342167.chadmin1.ib0.cheyenne.ucar.edu.220107-091753.txt
    93.8 KB · Views: 2
  • atm.log.2342167.chadmin1.ib0.cheyenne.ucar.edu.220107-091753.txt
    229.6 KB · Views: 1

nusbaume

Jesse Nusbaumer
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Hi James,

It looks like your volcano emissions file is missing several vertical coordinate variables needed for interpolation in the model. For example, compare the variables in your file with the variables found in a standard volcano emissions file here (which is for a different aerosol, but should still hightlight the idea):

/glade/p/cesmdata/inputdata/atm/cam/chem/emis/CMIP6_emissions_1750_2015/emissions-cmip6_num_a1_so4_contvolcano_vertical_850-5000_0.9x1.25_c20170724.nc

Specifically, I believe you'll need these extra variables in your file:

double P0 ;
P0:long_name = "reference pressure" ;
P0:units = "Pa" ;
double hyai(ilev) ;
hyai:_FillValue = 9.96920996838687e+36 ;
hyai:long_name = "hybrid A coefficient at layer interfaces" ;
double hyam(lev) ;
hyam:_FillValue = 9.96920996838687e+36 ;
hyam:long_name = "hybrid A coefficient at layer midpoints" ;
double hybi(ilev) ;
hybi:_FillValue = 9.96920996838687e+36 ;
hybi:long_name = "hybrid B coefficient at layer interfaces" ;
double hybm(lev) ;
hybm:_FillValue = 9.96920996838687e+36 ;
hybm:long_name = "hybrid B coefficient at layer midpoints" ;
float ilev(ilev) ;
ilev:units = "hPa" ;

Finally, I actually don't know what the best method is for dealing with future volcano emissions. Maybe @mmills or @hannay know?

Anyways, I hope that helps, and have a great day!

Jesse

James King

James King
Hi James,

It looks like your volcano emissions file is missing several vertical coordinate variables needed for interpolation in the model. For example, compare the variables in your file with the variables found in a standard volcano emissions file here (which is for a different aerosol, but should still hightlight the idea):

/glade/p/cesmdata/inputdata/atm/cam/chem/emis/CMIP6_emissions_1750_2015/emissions-cmip6_num_a1_so4_contvolcano_vertical_850-5000_0.9x1.25_c20170724.nc

Specifically, I believe you'll need these extra variables in your file:

Finally, I actually don't know what the best method is for dealing with future volcano emissions. Maybe @mmills or @hannay know?

Anyways, I hope that helps, and have a great day!

Jesse
Hi Jesse,

Thanks for this - it seems the procedure I used to subset the standard file on Glade removed the required coordinate variables. I'll have a think about how to do this further. If your colleagues do know how to deal with these emissions, that would be most helpful!

Best wishes,

James