Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Using CAM6 to run the same experiment with different cores, the results vary greatly

ybb

lichun
Hello! I have a problem about cam6.
I used cam6 to run the same experiment with different cores,but the results are quite different.Is that right?
What should I do if it is wrong?
I'm glad I got the answer.

cacraig

Cheryl Craig
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
What compset are you using (i.e is it a CAM-only F compset or a fully coupled compset like a B compset?) CAM F compsets are intended to give identical results independent of the PE layout. If you are experiencing this with a F compset, please give us the details requested in:https://bb.cgd.ucar.edu/cesm/threads/information-to-include-in-help-requests.4974/

If this is a B compset, changing PE layout is expected to change answers. If you want to control this behavior, there is a bfbflag documented at: 3.5. Bit-for-bit flag — CIME master documentation

ybb

lichun
I am very glad and honored to receive your reply.This is the first time I've posted a question. I am sorry that some of the content is not very clear.

I use the compset F2000climo(CAM-only F compset) to run a case.I changed nothing and ran the same case with different numbers of nodes(each node has 28 cores).Their results vary widely. For example, temperatures can vary by five degrees or more in winter.The version is CESM2.1.3.

I don't know what to do about it.Looking forward to your reply.THANK U,sir.

Attachments

• version_info.txt
    7.3 KB · Views: 2

ybb

lichun
What compset are you using (i.e is it a CAM-only F compset or a fully coupled compset like a B compset?) CAM F compsets are intended to give identical results independent of the PE layout. If you are experiencing this with a F compset, please give us the details requested in:https://bb.cgd.ucar.edu/cesm/threads/information-to-include-in-help-requests.4974/

If this is a B compset, changing PE layout is expected to change answers. If you want to control this behavior, there is a bfbflag documented at: 3.5. Bit-for-bit flag — CIME master documentation
am very glad and honored to receive your reply.This is the first time I've posted a question. I am sorry that some of the content is not very clear.

I use the compset F2000climo(CAM-only F compset) to run a case.I changed nothing and ran the same case with different numbers of nodes(each node has 28 cores).Their results vary widely. For example, temperatures can vary by five degrees or more in winter.The version is CESM2.1.3.

I don't know what to do about it.Looking forward to your reply.THANK U,sir.

Attachments

• version_info.txt
    7.3 KB · Views: 2

cacraig

Cheryl Craig
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Sorry to have not replied sooner. Are you still having issues with this?