Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

CLM build error in CESM2.3 port

James King

James King
Hi all,

I'm trying to port CESM2.3.alpha17 to my HPC. When I run the ensemble test for F2000climo after installing the model:

:/$CESMROOT/tools/statistical_ensemble_test> python ensemble.py --case $CESMROOT/runs/F2000climo_CESM2.3.alpha17.uf.0000 --ect cam --uf --mach archer2 --compset F2000climo --res f19_f19_mg17 --compiler gnu

I get the following error:

ERROR: Command /mnt/lustre/a2fs-work2/work/n02/n02/jking/cesm/CESM2.3/my_cesm_sandbox/components/clm/bld/build-namelist failed rc=2
out=
err=Can't load '/work/n02/shared/perl/5.26.2/x86_64-linux-thread-multi/auto/XML/LibXML/LibXML.so' for module XML::LibXML: /work/n02/shared/perl/5.26.2/x86_64-linux-thread-multi/auto/XML/LibXML/LibXML.so: undefined symbol: PL_hash_seed at /home1/home/n02/n02/jking/miniconda3/lib/5.34.0/x86_64-linux-thread-multi/DynaLoader.pm line 193.
at /work/n02/shared/perl/5.26.2/x86_64-linux-thread-multi/XML/LibXML.pm line 156.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /work/n02/shared/perl/5.26.2/x86_64-linux-thread-multi/XML/LibXML.pm line 156.
Compilation failed in require at /mnt/lustre/a2fs-work2/work/n02/n02/jking/cesm/CESM2.3/my_cesm_sandbox/cime/utils/perl5lib/Config/SetupTools.pm line 5.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /mnt/lustre/a2fs-work2/work/n02/n02/jking/cesm/CESM2.3/my_cesm_sandbox/cime/utils/perl5lib/Config/SetupTools.pm line 5.
Compilation failed in require at /mnt/lustre/a2fs-work2/work/n02/n02/jking/cesm/CESM2.3/my_cesm_sandbox/components/clm/bld/CLMBuildNamelist.pm line 421.

The file:

/work/n02/shared/perl/5.26.2/x86_64-linux-thread-multi/auto/XML/LibXML/LibXML.so

exists, so I'm not sure what the problem is about loading it. Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks,

James

jedwards

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
We don't have an ensemble prepared yet for the cesm2.3 series since we are still in a rapid development phase.
That said it looks like maybe it found XML::LibXML but then had an error loading the .so file therein - are you sure that the
file in path /work/n02/shared/perl/5.26.2/x86_64-linux-thread-multi/auto/XML/LibXML/LibXML.so was built for the platform you are attempting to run on?

James King

James King
Hi Jim,

That's fair enough, I suspected not - I didn't choose the model version to use here. One potential issue here is that

perl -v

tells me I am using perl v5.34.0 installed in my home area, whereas the model is looking for v5.26.2 installed in a shared area. Do you think this could be part of the problem?
I will check with the system admins that this file (/work/n02/shared/perl/5.26.2/x86_64-linux-thread-multi/auto/XML/LibXML/LibXML.so) has been built and installed properly.

Thanks,

James

jedwards

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
I think that the perl mismatch is the problem - can you try modifying your path so that you are using the system perl?
Or you can try installing XML::LibXML in your version.

James King

James King
Hi Jim,

Just to check, would I do this by:

export PATH=/work/n02/shared/perl/5.26.2/x86_64-linux-thread-multi/auto/XML/LibXML:$PATH

Thanks,

James